Soldiers' dad urges Basildon to Honour Our Heroes

Basildon Recorder: Proud dad Pc Stephen Wynn with his two soldier sons Proud dad Pc Stephen Wynn with his two soldier sons

THE proud dad of two soldiers has urged the people of Basildon to turn out in force to support the Royal Anglians on their homecoming parade.


Stephen Wynn, 53, a PC based at Basildon, said the sight of beaming crowds in the town centre would mean the world to the troops who will be returning home from their final tour of Afghanistan.


Stephen, who has two sons - Royal Marine Luke and Ross, who serves with the parachute regiment - has himself had to endure the sleepless nights that come with having two sons on the frontline in Afghanistan. Both have also been shot while on duty.


The constable wrote about his experience in the book Two Sons in a War Zone: Afghanistan - the True Story of a Father’s Conflict.


Now, he is urging people to support the Royal Anglians, Stephen said: “In my experience all members of the military, in which ever branch they serve, don't see themselves as heroes.


“They go off to war, most of them as no more than kids still in their teens. They return as adults having done their duty.


“They ask for nothing in return, they seek no fame or glory for what they've done, but they do deserve our utmost respect.


“Remember, they are the few who "provide the very blanket of freedom" under which we sleep at night. That should never be forgotten or taken for granted by any of us.”


He added: “For me the Royal Anglians’ return is very poignant as next month one of my sons returns to Afghanistan for a third time - time to shave off my hair again.


“Being cheered and clapped as they march through Basildon town centre by ordinary members of the public - people who they don't even know - will mean a great deal to them.


“Knowing that people care is important to all of us. They are no different.”


The Royal Anglians will be march through Basildon town centre on Thursday November 8. The parade will begin outside Toys ‘R’ Us in Southernhay at 12.30pm, going through the town and reaching St Martin’s Square by 12.40pm.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:32pm Fri 26 Oct 12

alimac69 says...

Not sure what the residents of Basildon are like, but Southend turns out in great numbers when the soldiers march down the High Street
Not sure what the residents of Basildon are like, but Southend turns out in great numbers when the soldiers march down the High Street alimac69
  • Score: -1

2:37pm Fri 26 Oct 12

Eric Whim says...

big up to the soldiers of the Royal Anglian Regiment and all other servicemen and women out there doing their bit.
big up to the soldiers of the Royal Anglian Regiment and all other servicemen and women out there doing their bit. Eric Whim
  • Score: -1

5:27pm Fri 26 Oct 12

bob7 says...

I fully support the idea of home coming parades but why not have them on weekends so those of us who work can attend?
Well done to this father and his sons.
I fully support the idea of home coming parades but why not have them on weekends so those of us who work can attend? Well done to this father and his sons. bob7
  • Score: -1

10:42pm Sat 27 Oct 12

Devils Advocate says...

alimac69 wrote:
Not sure what the residents of Basildon are like, but Southend turns out in great numbers when the soldiers march down the High Street
My wife and I are Basildonians and we came to the Vikings march through Southend high street recently and I have to say it was a very moving time for all those that came to cheer them.

Our town's little march does not compare to that one at Southend, but the feelings of the people who take the time to be there are exactly the same as those at Southend. It only lasts 10 minutes at the moment but I am sure we could make it bigger and better if the people who run our town (most of whom don't live in it) would get behind the lads who fight for us and er, give them the keys to the executive loo, if not the freedom of our town!
[quote][p][bold]alimac69[/bold] wrote: Not sure what the residents of Basildon are like, but Southend turns out in great numbers when the soldiers march down the High Street[/p][/quote]My wife and I are Basildonians and we came to the Vikings march through Southend high street recently and I have to say it was a very moving time for all those that came to cheer them. Our town's little march does not compare to that one at Southend, but the feelings of the people who take the time to be there are exactly the same as those at Southend. It only lasts 10 minutes at the moment but I am sure we could make it bigger and better if the people who run our town (most of whom don't live in it) would get behind the lads who fight for us and er, give them the keys to the executive loo, if not the freedom of our town! Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

9:16pm Mon 29 Oct 12

Almeda11 says...

Well l certainly wouldn`t turn out to support them!!
The fact is that this war and in lraq, is not our war. lf our country was being attacked l would think differently, but it is not, and l don`t think we have any business going in to someone else`s country and telling them how to do things, theirs is a different culture, and you cannot enforce democracy at the point of a gun, it never works,democracy has to come from WITHIN their own country, not enforced from outside. lt will take longer, but it will happen and will be more peaceful. Even the government has said that this war is " unwinnable". Took them long enough to realise that, l could have told them that 10 tears ago, but then l, unlike the government have insight. The only reason they went to war in lraq was for the oil and the fat contracts that materialised afterwards. l never, for 1 second, believed there were any WMD,and there weren`t. Also, look around the world, there are wars everywhere,terrible things happening in Dafur for example, with women and children being burned alive in their houses, but did britain get involved in those, No, for the simple reason that there was no oil. l will never understand the parents of these young men and women who say of their DEAD children, " Oh, l am so proud of my son/daughter, they died doing the job they loved" . WAKE UP! the army doesn`t care about your children, they don`t even give them the correct equipment for the job for heaven`s sake which is a contributing factor in some deaths, they are just pawns of a government that couldn`t care less so why be proud? This country should keep it`s nose out of other countries business, and concentrate on the severe social problems we have in THIS country, like anti social behaviour, poor parenting,child abuse, 1 child dies at the hands of a parent or carer EVERY WEEK IN THE UK, which is something of which to feel deeply ashamed, these are figures from the NSPCC, which l worked for on a voluntary basis, ect and save the money we spend fighting other peoples wars for OUR schools, hospitals ect, if we can`t even manage to put our own affairs in order, who the hell are we to tell others how to run theirs.
Well l certainly wouldn`t turn out to support them!! The fact is that this war and in lraq, is not our war. lf our country was being attacked l would think differently, but it is not, and l don`t think we have any business going in to someone else`s country and telling them how to do things, theirs is a different culture, and you cannot enforce democracy at the point of a gun, it never works,democracy has to come from WITHIN their own country, not enforced from outside. lt will take longer, but it will happen and will be more peaceful. Even the government has said that this war is " unwinnable". Took them long enough to realise that, l could have told them that 10 tears ago, but then l, unlike the government have insight. The only reason they went to war in lraq was for the oil and the fat contracts that materialised afterwards. l never, for 1 second, believed there were any WMD,and there weren`t. Also, look around the world, there are wars everywhere,terrible things happening in Dafur for example, with women and children being burned alive in their houses, but did britain get involved in those, No, for the simple reason that there was no oil. l will never understand the parents of these young men and women who say of their DEAD children, " Oh, l am so proud of my son/daughter, they died doing the job they loved" . WAKE UP! the army doesn`t care about your children, they don`t even give them the correct equipment for the job for heaven`s sake which is a contributing factor in some deaths, they are just pawns of a government that couldn`t care less so why be proud? This country should keep it`s nose out of other countries business, and concentrate on the severe social problems we have in THIS country, like anti social behaviour, poor parenting,child abuse, 1 child dies at the hands of a parent or carer EVERY WEEK IN THE UK, which is something of which to feel deeply ashamed, these are figures from the NSPCC, which l worked for on a voluntary basis, ect and save the money we spend fighting other peoples wars for OUR schools, hospitals ect, if we can`t even manage to put our own affairs in order, who the hell are we to tell others how to run theirs. Almeda11
  • Score: 1

11:23pm Mon 29 Oct 12

Devils Advocate says...

Almeda11
I am afraid you are mixing yourself up a little here. What you are talking about is the politics of war, which comes down to who runs the country or perhaps rules the country. If our country was being attacked that would be different, you say, How so? the same hard working soldiers would be
defending us in that scenario too. Do you not understand that they, like all the rest of the working population, have to do as they are told. The fact that they, like our emergency services, daily risk their lives to try to keep us and our country safe is what makes them heroes.
If you want to bemoan something, then point your narrow mind towards the politician's and their undemocratic political system. Even if it was simply for the oil, it would not be our soldiers who made the decision to chase that oil, it would be the same mob the political gangsters and their paymasters the trougholites. As for the "One child" bit, perhaps that is Gods way of telling us that their are those amongst us who are popping too many children out and doing that for the wrong reason.
What has that got to do with our heroic soldiers?
Almeda11 I am afraid you are mixing yourself up a little here. What you are talking about is the politics of war, which comes down to who runs the country or perhaps rules the country. If our country was being attacked that would be different, you say, How so? the same hard working soldiers would be defending us in that scenario too. Do you not understand that they, like all the rest of the working population, have to do as they are told. The fact that they, like our emergency services, daily risk their lives to try to keep us and our country safe is what makes them heroes. If you want to bemoan something, then point your narrow mind towards the politician's and their undemocratic political system. Even if it was simply for the oil, it would not be our soldiers who made the decision to chase that oil, it would be the same mob the political gangsters and their paymasters the trougholites. As for the "One child" bit, perhaps that is Gods way of telling us that their are those amongst us who are popping too many children out and doing that for the wrong reason. What has that got to do with our heroic soldiers? Devils Advocate
  • Score: -1

11:26pm Mon 29 Oct 12

Devils Advocate says...

Sorry, "There" not "Their" that's because I get wound up too easily.
Sorry, "There" not "Their" that's because I get wound up too easily. Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

8:42pm Tue 30 Oct 12

Almeda11 says...

Devils Advocate wrote:
Almeda11 I am afraid you are mixing yourself up a little here. What you are talking about is the politics of war, which comes down to who runs the country or perhaps rules the country. If our country was being attacked that would be different, you say, How so? the same hard working soldiers would be defending us in that scenario too. Do you not understand that they, like all the rest of the working population, have to do as they are told. The fact that they, like our emergency services, daily risk their lives to try to keep us and our country safe is what makes them heroes. If you want to bemoan something, then point your narrow mind towards the politician's and their undemocratic political system. Even if it was simply for the oil, it would not be our soldiers who made the decision to chase that oil, it would be the same mob the political gangsters and their paymasters the trougholites. As for the "One child" bit, perhaps that is Gods way of telling us that their are those amongst us who are popping too many children out and doing that for the wrong reason. What has that got to do with our heroic soldiers?
l find it incredible that you cannot see the obvious differences between OUR country being attacked, where we would obviously be in great danger, and deliberately going out into others countries in the name of freedom fighters.

As l said, other peoples/countries wars are nothing to do with us, we would NOT be in the same danger as we would if our country was being attacked.
The uk is obsessed with war --- in a way no other country is, if we`re not actually fighting in our own war, then we`re poking our noses into others` affairs, and constantly on the tv there is a never ending series, documentaries of the last one, or the one before that.
An unhealthy obsession, and l stick by ALL the points l made in my first comment.
As for your ridiculous assumption that 1 child dies every week at the hands of a parent or carer, because " they are having too many", that is just sick, as well as unfair, inaccurate and totally wrong.
The most recent case, that of poor baby Peter, well he was an ONLY child, as are many other abused children.
There is no pattern to it, many also come from families with 2 or more children.
And what has it to do with our heroic soldiers, well firstly l don`t class them as heroes, they CHOSE to join the territorial army knowing full well that they would be called up whenever the government decided they wanted them to go to a certain country, so don`t blame the government, if they are willing to sacrifice themselves that is their choice.
And secondly, l was making a CONNECTION, which you obviously didn`t see, between fighting for democracy in a country, by storming in, taking over, killing the enemy and killing lots of innocent people into the bargain, and the fact that we do have terrible social problems in this country, which l`ve already mentioned. lt`s like the pot calling the kettle black, and we should concentrate our efforts into getting our own problems and attitudes right before we dare to lecture other countries on how to run theirs, and it should never be my military force, ONLY if THIS country is being attacked.

l can`t make it any plainer l`m afraid, and everybody thinks differently, due to their own, personal life experiences, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it`s really not worth getting wound up or upset about, and to be honest it is totally irrelevant whether you agree with me or not. Be philosophical about it, but killing is never right, or justified, there are always other, better ways.
[quote][p][bold]Devils Advocate[/bold] wrote: Almeda11 I am afraid you are mixing yourself up a little here. What you are talking about is the politics of war, which comes down to who runs the country or perhaps rules the country. If our country was being attacked that would be different, you say, How so? the same hard working soldiers would be defending us in that scenario too. Do you not understand that they, like all the rest of the working population, have to do as they are told. The fact that they, like our emergency services, daily risk their lives to try to keep us and our country safe is what makes them heroes. If you want to bemoan something, then point your narrow mind towards the politician's and their undemocratic political system. Even if it was simply for the oil, it would not be our soldiers who made the decision to chase that oil, it would be the same mob the political gangsters and their paymasters the trougholites. As for the "One child" bit, perhaps that is Gods way of telling us that their are those amongst us who are popping too many children out and doing that for the wrong reason. What has that got to do with our heroic soldiers?[/p][/quote]l find it incredible that you cannot see the obvious differences between OUR country being attacked, where we would obviously be in great danger, and deliberately going out into others countries in the name of freedom fighters. As l said, other peoples/countries wars are nothing to do with us, we would NOT be in the same danger as we would if our country was being attacked. The uk is obsessed with war --- in a way no other country is, if we`re not actually fighting in our own war, then we`re poking our noses into others` affairs, and constantly on the tv there is a never ending series, documentaries of the last one, or the one before that. An unhealthy obsession, and l stick by ALL the points l made in my first comment. As for your ridiculous assumption that 1 child dies every week at the hands of a parent or carer, because " they are having too many", that is just sick, as well as unfair, inaccurate and totally wrong. The most recent case, that of poor baby Peter, well he was an ONLY child, as are many other abused children. There is no pattern to it, many also come from families with 2 or more children. And what has it to do with our heroic soldiers, well firstly l don`t class them as heroes, they CHOSE to join the territorial army knowing full well that they would be called up whenever the government decided they wanted them to go to a certain country, so don`t blame the government, if they are willing to sacrifice themselves that is their choice. And secondly, l was making a CONNECTION, which you obviously didn`t see, between fighting for democracy in a country, by storming in, taking over, killing the enemy and killing lots of innocent people into the bargain, and the fact that we do have terrible social problems in this country, which l`ve already mentioned. lt`s like the pot calling the kettle black, and we should concentrate our efforts into getting our own problems and attitudes right before we dare to lecture other countries on how to run theirs, and it should never be my military force, ONLY if THIS country is being attacked. l can`t make it any plainer l`m afraid, and everybody thinks differently, due to their own, personal life experiences, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it`s really not worth getting wound up or upset about, and to be honest it is totally irrelevant whether you agree with me or not. Be philosophical about it, but killing is never right, or justified, there are always other, better ways. Almeda11
  • Score: 1

9:43pm Tue 30 Oct 12

Devils Advocate says...

almeda11
I am glad you are so lay back, and comfortable with the rest of the world being the way it is.
You are wrong in your view.
As for telling whoever will read your comment that "Killing is never right or justified" you are forgetting that the rest of your world may not share your viewpoint, and do not have the same compunction about not killing that you have. You may wish to be a martyr to your cause, but remember many, many people share the belief that killing you and me and many others who do not share their view, enhances their position in the lives that they have yet to live. would you see your family destroyed at the hands of a fanatic from another land simply because you think we should only defend ourselves in our own land? Better to destroy the Devil before he reaches your front door.

With regard to the killing of innocent babes by their own carers, I would remind you that, once upon a time, people who kill other innocents were removed from society in a very permanent way. This had the effect that it did in all other animals on our planet enjoy. The sick, lame and lazy are removed by the fittest of their species or of their predators. The sickness of our race is mainly due to it being led by those who's only religion is their wealth.

Although you twist my words, I am not "sick" I did not say I felt that, I said God. Perceive it how you may, our universe is very beautifully balanced. Only one thing is causing it to go off kilter and that is us. We have lost our right to exist because of our total abuse of the solar system and that same system is correcting that fault as we write. American experts say we need to reduce the world population by 82%. How would you achieve that?
almeda11 I am glad you are so lay back, and comfortable with the rest of the world being the way it is. You are wrong in your view. As for telling whoever will read your comment that "Killing is never right or justified" you are forgetting that the rest of your world may not share your viewpoint, and do not have the same compunction about not killing that you have. You may wish to be a martyr to your cause, but remember many, many people share the belief that killing you and me and many others who do not share their view, enhances their position in the lives that they have yet to live. would you see your family destroyed at the hands of a fanatic from another land simply because you think we should only defend ourselves in our own land? Better to destroy the Devil before he reaches your front door. With regard to the killing of innocent babes by their own carers, I would remind you that, once upon a time, people who kill other innocents were removed from society in a very permanent way. This had the effect that it did in all other animals on our planet enjoy. The sick, lame and lazy are removed by the fittest of their species or of their predators. The sickness of our race is mainly due to it being led by those who's only religion is their wealth. Although you twist my words, I am not "sick" I did not say I felt that, I said God. Perceive it how you may, our universe is very beautifully balanced. Only one thing is causing it to go off kilter and that is us. We have lost our right to exist because of our total abuse of the solar system and that same system is correcting that fault as we write. American experts say we need to reduce the world population by 82%. How would you achieve that? Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

10:42pm Tue 30 Oct 12

Almeda11 says...

Devil`s Advocate, your name is very well chosen, a true reflection of what your views really are about --- to play Devil`s Advocate !
You remind me of someone else who used to come on here, inititials JTR, funnily enough he seems to have disappeared !!

Your comment " l am wrong in my view" doesn`t even apply, as it is impossible to be wrong, in ANY view, they are just that, views, opinions, there is no wrong or right about it, they are not established facts..

l agree with most of your last paragraph though, we have messed up the planet, and also about over population, how would the US deal with that, l have no idea, they are just as sexually active as any other nation,and one of the biggest polluters on the planet. ln the end it`s deeds that count, not words.
l have my views, you have yours, the only thing we CAN change in this world is ourselves, and if everybody concentrated on doing that, we would have a better world.
Devil`s Advocate, your name is very well chosen, a true reflection of what your views really are about --- to play Devil`s Advocate ! You remind me of someone else who used to come on here, inititials JTR, funnily enough he seems to have disappeared !! Your comment " l am wrong in my view" doesn`t even apply, as it is impossible to be wrong, in ANY view, they are just that, views, opinions, there is no wrong or right about it, they are not established facts.. l agree with most of your last paragraph though, we have messed up the planet, and also about over population, how would the US deal with that, l have no idea, they are just as sexually active as any other nation,and one of the biggest polluters on the planet. ln the end it`s deeds that count, not words. l have my views, you have yours, the only thing we CAN change in this world is ourselves, and if everybody concentrated on doing that, we would have a better world. Almeda11
  • Score: 1

10:49pm Tue 30 Oct 12

Almeda11 says...

Almeda11 wrote:
Devil`s Advocate, your name is very well chosen, a true reflection of what your views really are about --- to play Devil`s Advocate ! You remind me of someone else who used to come on here, inititials JTR, funnily enough he seems to have disappeared !! Your comment " l am wrong in my view" doesn`t even apply, as it is impossible to be wrong, in ANY view, they are just that, views, opinions, there is no wrong or right about it, they are not established facts.. l agree with most of your last paragraph though, we have messed up the planet, and also about over population, how would the US deal with that, l have no idea, they are just as sexually active as any other nation,and one of the biggest polluters on the planet. ln the end it`s deeds that count, not words. l have my views, you have yours, the only thing we CAN change in this world is ourselves, and if everybody concentrated on doing that, we would have a better world.
ps, l forgot to say l also think our universe is beutifully balanced, it is a living organ of conscioussness, and deserves to be treated with respect, when the balance of nature is disturbed there are always consequences!!
[quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: Devil`s Advocate, your name is very well chosen, a true reflection of what your views really are about --- to play Devil`s Advocate ! You remind me of someone else who used to come on here, inititials JTR, funnily enough he seems to have disappeared !! Your comment " l am wrong in my view" doesn`t even apply, as it is impossible to be wrong, in ANY view, they are just that, views, opinions, there is no wrong or right about it, they are not established facts.. l agree with most of your last paragraph though, we have messed up the planet, and also about over population, how would the US deal with that, l have no idea, they are just as sexually active as any other nation,and one of the biggest polluters on the planet. ln the end it`s deeds that count, not words. l have my views, you have yours, the only thing we CAN change in this world is ourselves, and if everybody concentrated on doing that, we would have a better world.[/p][/quote]ps, l forgot to say l also think our universe is beutifully balanced, it is a living organ of conscioussness, and deserves to be treated with respect, when the balance of nature is disturbed there are always consequences!! Almeda11
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree