Crowds gather for opening of Basildon's new M&S Simply Food

Store manager Steve King and long-serving staff member Janet Morgan officially open the new M&S Simply Food store at Mayflower Retail Park, Basildon

Eager customers turned out for the opening of Basildon's new M&S Simply Food

First published in News by

Basildon's long awaited brand new Marks & Spencer finally opened its doors to eager customers today.

Crowds gathered outside the 9,000sq ft Simply Food store to get a first glimpse as the ribbon was officially cut by store manager Steve King and long-serving staff member Janet Morgan.

Hundreds of customers were greeted with a champagne reception as they browsed the aisles stocked with fresh produce, ready meals, gift cards and snacks.

The building, which was previously an MFI furniture store, is also home to an in-store bakery and 50-seater cafe.

Proud manager Mr King said: “It’s fantastic that we have finally opened here at Mayflower Retail Park, it’s something that we’ve wanted to do for a long time and we’re proud to be doing this for the company.

“This is a perfect location. The Simply Food store is a really good addition for Basildon and will complement the shop we already have in the town centre.

“The turnout for our opening has been amazing. All week people have been trying to get in. I think M&S is so popular because it really is the best product out there. If people are having a celebration they can come to us for something special but we also do good-quality everyday products.”

  • Special report in Thursday's Echo.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:47pm Wed 24 Oct 12

muffindamule says...

Good to see such a fine display of good old-fashioned loyalty. Mr. King even sounds sincere in his praise for his employers. That is something so often missing in today's society. Well done !


(I'll be in for that free bag of oats you promised me first thing in the morning Steve)
Good to see such a fine display of good old-fashioned loyalty. Mr. King even sounds sincere in his praise for his employers. That is something so often missing in today's society. Well done ! (I'll be in for that free bag of oats you promised me first thing in the morning Steve) muffindamule
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Wed 24 Oct 12

GentleGiant says...

They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits!
They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits! GentleGiant
  • Score: 1

6:42pm Wed 24 Oct 12

Rollocks says...

GentleGiant wrote:
They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits!
Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps!
[quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits![/p][/quote]Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps! Rollocks
  • Score: 0

8:13pm Wed 24 Oct 12

Fallguy9999 says...

Lets hope they stuff Tesco
Lets hope they stuff Tesco Fallguy9999
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Wed 24 Oct 12

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Rollocks wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:
They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits!
Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps!
Not so nicely spotted..look in the second photo.
[quote][p][bold]Rollocks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits![/p][/quote]Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps![/p][/quote]Not so nicely spotted..look in the second photo. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 0

10:00am Thu 25 Oct 12

Eric Whim says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Rollocks wrote:
GentleGiant wrote:
They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits!
Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps!
Not so nicely spotted..look in the second photo.
that was the rush for the free champers. I bet it's not as hectic today
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rollocks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GentleGiant[/bold] wrote: They do not all look like customers - why are they all in business suits![/p][/quote]Yep nicely spotted they were mostly area reps![/p][/quote]Not so nicely spotted..look in the second photo.[/p][/quote]that was the rush for the free champers. I bet it's not as hectic today Eric Whim
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Thu 25 Oct 12

Spamantha says...

hahahaha thats me in the stripy top in
the second picture pahahaha!!
!
hahahaha thats me in the stripy top in the second picture pahahaha!! ! Spamantha
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Thu 25 Oct 12

Brunning999 says...

They are all undertakers !
They are all undertakers ! Brunning999
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree