Hundreds of Essex jobs lost in Ford axe

Basildon Recorder: Essex jobs lost in Ford axe Essex jobs lost in Ford axe

Ford is to close its Transit van factory and another UK site with the loss of up to 1,500 jobs, sources said.

The grim news was given to union officials at a meeting with the company and was described as "devastating" by one official.

The Transit van plant in Southampton will close next summer, with the loss of more than 500 jobs, while a site in Dagenham will shut at the same time.

Union officials said up to 1,500 jobs will be affected by the news, although some new posts will be created at the Dagenham engine plant which will build Ford's new Panther engine.

It is understood that Ford will offer a generous redundancy package and redeployment to workers who want to stay with the company.

Justin Bowden, national officer of the GMB union, said: "This is devastating news for the workers in Southampton and Dagenham and is very bad news for UK manufacturing. Ford's track record in Britain is one of broken promises and factory closures. There will be a feeling of shock and anger, and Ford's commitment on investment will cut little ice."

Ford employs around 11,400 workers in the UK at plants including Dagenham, Halewood on Merseyside and Bridgend in South Wales. Ford on Wednesday unveiled plans to close its factory in Genk, Belgium, with the loss of 4,300 jobs and said more details of its "transformation" plan for Europe will be given later.

Stephen Odell, chairman and chief executive of Ford of Europe, said: "The proposed restructuring of our European manufacturing operations is a fundamental part of our plan to strengthen Ford's business in Europe and to return to profitable growth."

Mr Odell met union officials to give them the news.

Ford will not make an official announcement on its plans until later. The news emerged two hours after official figures showed that the UK's recession had ended.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:32pm Thu 25 Oct 12

Shoebury_Cyclist says...

I worked at Ford from 1978 to 1998. The Ford European Headquarters used to be at Warley, then it was moved to Cologne, Germany. Since then plants have been closed across Europe, but not one plant has been closed in Germany.
This is because UK workers are cheaper and easier to make redundant, and closing plants carries no penalty. Workers and plants elsewhere in Europe have the protection of EU employment law, which the UK government has repeatedly opted out of.
I worked at Ford from 1978 to 1998. The Ford European Headquarters used to be at Warley, then it was moved to Cologne, Germany. Since then plants have been closed across Europe, but not one plant has been closed in Germany. This is because UK workers are cheaper and easier to make redundant, and closing plants carries no penalty. Workers and plants elsewhere in Europe have the protection of EU employment law, which the UK government has repeatedly opted out of. Shoebury_Cyclist

12:41pm Thu 25 Oct 12

Eric Whim says...

so it looks like it's goodbye to the UK for Ford of Europe.

Have they built another R&D site in former Eastern Bloc Europe or in Asia yet?
so it looks like it's goodbye to the UK for Ford of Europe. Have they built another R&D site in former Eastern Bloc Europe or in Asia yet? Eric Whim

3:42pm Thu 25 Oct 12

notinwestcliffanymore says...

Shoebury_Cyclist wrote:
I worked at Ford from 1978 to 1998. The Ford European Headquarters used to be at Warley, then it was moved to Cologne, Germany. Since then plants have been closed across Europe, but not one plant has been closed in Germany. This is because UK workers are cheaper and easier to make redundant, and closing plants carries no penalty. Workers and plants elsewhere in Europe have the protection of EU employment law, which the UK government has repeatedly opted out of.
unless you are belgan, still good news for turkey who will pick up the transit work.!!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Shoebury_Cyclist[/bold] wrote: I worked at Ford from 1978 to 1998. The Ford European Headquarters used to be at Warley, then it was moved to Cologne, Germany. Since then plants have been closed across Europe, but not one plant has been closed in Germany. This is because UK workers are cheaper and easier to make redundant, and closing plants carries no penalty. Workers and plants elsewhere in Europe have the protection of EU employment law, which the UK government has repeatedly opted out of.[/p][/quote]unless you are belgan, still good news for turkey who will pick up the transit work.!!!!!!!! notinwestcliffanymore

6:38pm Thu 25 Oct 12

VPAG member says...

Ford Motor Company treat their employees with contempt. They ask for improved qualty and productivity and the employees gave it to them - and the result is Plant closures and 2000 job losses. Let's hope they get the redundancy pay and pensions they deserve, unlike ex Ford Visteon employees who were thrown on the scrap heap with pension losses of more than 40% - the promises and guarantees given by Ford are worthless - what ever happened to the 'Family of Ford' !
Ford Motor Company treat their employees with contempt. They ask for improved qualty and productivity and the employees gave it to them - and the result is Plant closures and 2000 job losses. Let's hope they get the redundancy pay and pensions they deserve, unlike ex Ford Visteon employees who were thrown on the scrap heap with pension losses of more than 40% - the promises and guarantees given by Ford are worthless - what ever happened to the 'Family of Ford' ! VPAG member

10:31pm Thu 25 Oct 12

perini says...

VPAG member wrote:
Ford Motor Company treat their employees with contempt. They ask for improved qualty and productivity and the employees gave it to them - and the result is Plant closures and 2000 job losses. Let's hope they get the redundancy pay and pensions they deserve, unlike ex Ford Visteon employees who were thrown on the scrap heap with pension losses of more than 40% - the promises and guarantees given by Ford are worthless - what ever happened to the 'Family of Ford' !
Have you not heard of 'shareholder value?' There's your answer! Unless you have class A shares then b*llocks to you!
[quote][p][bold]VPAG member[/bold] wrote: Ford Motor Company treat their employees with contempt. They ask for improved qualty and productivity and the employees gave it to them - and the result is Plant closures and 2000 job losses. Let's hope they get the redundancy pay and pensions they deserve, unlike ex Ford Visteon employees who were thrown on the scrap heap with pension losses of more than 40% - the promises and guarantees given by Ford are worthless - what ever happened to the 'Family of Ford' ![/p][/quote]Have you not heard of 'shareholder value?' There's your answer! Unless you have class A shares then b*llocks to you! perini

9:05am Fri 26 Oct 12

PJR-121 says...

Ford's UK headquarters in Warley still look after most of the operations across Ford Europe, including the financial department.

Ford have been hit hard by the economic situation, with car buyers looking toward cheaper asian models. The company has been restructuring for some time, but is still committed to its remaining plants in the UK.

Dunton is Ford's premier R&D site in Europe, and with the 'global car' platform that the company is working on, has become a centre for the entire company in recent years. Ford's new Econetic engines were developed there, and the new Panther engine is also to be tested, as well as development for the new Fiesta and Mondeo, which are due for release in 2013 and 2014.

However, sales of Transits has dropped over the last few years, mainly due to a lack of need, as companies and fleets make do with older vehicles. This has led Ford to take this action, moving production to mainland Europe.

This does have implications however, for several other businesses in the UK. Southampton was the main centre for Chassis cabs, which means those UK motorhome manufacturers who use them will need to pay more for importing them, or switch onto the Fiat scheme, wherebuy they pay the Italian company a percentage of each vehicle sale, rather than up front.

Unfortunately the other option is that Ford goes bust, and if that happens, Dagenham, Bridgend, Halewood and Dunton will close along with all the European plants and Warley. The company is in serious financial trouble in Europe and the US, and I wouldn't be surprised if more cuts are announced next year...
Ford's UK headquarters in Warley still look after most of the operations across Ford Europe, including the financial department. Ford have been hit hard by the economic situation, with car buyers looking toward cheaper asian models. The company has been restructuring for some time, but is still committed to its remaining plants in the UK. Dunton is Ford's premier R&D site in Europe, and with the 'global car' platform that the company is working on, has become a centre for the entire company in recent years. Ford's new Econetic engines were developed there, and the new Panther engine is also to be tested, as well as development for the new Fiesta and Mondeo, which are due for release in 2013 and 2014. However, sales of Transits has dropped over the last few years, mainly due to a lack of need, as companies and fleets make do with older vehicles. This has led Ford to take this action, moving production to mainland Europe. This does have implications however, for several other businesses in the UK. Southampton was the main centre for Chassis cabs, which means those UK motorhome manufacturers who use them will need to pay more for importing them, or switch onto the Fiat scheme, wherebuy they pay the Italian company a percentage of each vehicle sale, rather than up front. Unfortunately the other option is that Ford goes bust, and if that happens, Dagenham, Bridgend, Halewood and Dunton will close along with all the European plants and Warley. The company is in serious financial trouble in Europe and the US, and I wouldn't be surprised if more cuts are announced next year... PJR-121

12:34pm Fri 26 Oct 12

notinwestcliffanymore says...

PJR-121, Whilst what you have said is in the main right, many of us at dunton feel that merkenich is the lead R&D site, colonge the center of ford europe and the budgets controlled from germany. You could also argue the need for plants in romania, also ford have never shut a german plant no matter what the situation. low production cost will have an impact on quality and news like this will have a very big impact on sales on what is still fords most important market. Britain builds a lot of cars at the moment because we are good at it, personally i think ford has put it s eggs in the wrong basket.
PJR-121, Whilst what you have said is in the main right, many of us at dunton feel that merkenich is the lead R&D site, colonge the center of ford europe and the budgets controlled from germany. You could also argue the need for plants in romania, also ford have never shut a german plant no matter what the situation. low production cost will have an impact on quality and news like this will have a very big impact on sales on what is still fords most important market. Britain builds a lot of cars at the moment because we are good at it, personally i think ford has put it s eggs in the wrong basket. notinwestcliffanymore

1:08pm Fri 26 Oct 12

PJR-121 says...

notinwestcliffanymor
e
wrote:
PJR-121, Whilst what you have said is in the main right, many of us at dunton feel that merkenich is the lead R&D site, colonge the center of ford europe and the budgets controlled from germany. You could also argue the need for plants in romania, also ford have never shut a german plant no matter what the situation. low production cost will have an impact on quality and news like this will have a very big impact on sales on what is still fords most important market. Britain builds a lot of cars at the moment because we are good at it, personally i think ford has put it s eggs in the wrong basket.
I'll entirely agree with you, The problem as I see it is Ford trying to centralise it's work with cheap labour, less import / export duty and as you say, complete reduction of production costs.

I do wonder how they can believe this is a model that will work when Honda and Nissan to name a few are committed to Britain though.
[quote][p][bold]notinwestcliffanymor e[/bold] wrote: PJR-121, Whilst what you have said is in the main right, many of us at dunton feel that merkenich is the lead R&D site, colonge the center of ford europe and the budgets controlled from germany. You could also argue the need for plants in romania, also ford have never shut a german plant no matter what the situation. low production cost will have an impact on quality and news like this will have a very big impact on sales on what is still fords most important market. Britain builds a lot of cars at the moment because we are good at it, personally i think ford has put it s eggs in the wrong basket.[/p][/quote]I'll entirely agree with you, The problem as I see it is Ford trying to centralise it's work with cheap labour, less import / export duty and as you say, complete reduction of production costs. I do wonder how they can believe this is a model that will work when Honda and Nissan to name a few are committed to Britain though. PJR-121

2:31pm Fri 26 Oct 12

notinwestcliffanymore says...

But they/we are centralising in germany, europes highest cost producer. Also you have question our product line up compared with VW in terms of depth of range and price.
But they/we are centralising in germany, europes highest cost producer. Also you have question our product line up compared with VW in terms of depth of range and price. notinwestcliffanymore

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree