Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
MPs bid to win a share of city cash for young jobless in Basildon
6:56pm Wednesday 4th December 2013 in News
TWO MPs are to write to the Government to urge ministers to make cash available to ease youth employment in Basildon.
Last week, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg announced a £50million fund for councils to tackle youth unemployment – but only for cities.
As Basildon and Harlow have a problem with youth unemployment, Essex County Council has called on MPs throughout Essex to support the call to make the cash available to county councils.
Tory Mr Metcalfe said: “I will write to the Deputy Prime Minister to ask why cities have received preferential treatment when there are areas in Essex with higher rates of youth unemployment than some of the funding recipients. “This is a problem that should to be tackled on a needs basis, not by whether an area meets the criteria of a city.”
The cash is due to be made available for 28 major cities over the next three years.
Tory Mr Baron said: “I see no reason why counties should be excluded. Applications should be based on merit.”
The number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance in Basildon in June was 2,236.
Comments are closed on this article.