Burglars target homes in Wickford and steal cars, jewellery and cash valued at £70,000 (From Basildon Recorder)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us »
Burglars target homes in Wickford and steal cars, jewellery and cash valued at £70,000
9:00am Saturday 7th December 2013 in News
BURGLARS have stolen nearly £70,000 of cars, jewellery and cash from Wickford homes in the space of three days – and police say their neighbours could be next.
Ten homes were targeted by the raiders in the crime spree, which involved car keys being taken and the cars stolen, along with other property.
Police say some of the burglaries may be the work of one gang, but are reluctant to put all the raids down to the same criminals.
Officers have stepped up patrols in the area in an effort to reassure householders and are visiting known criminals and warning residents to be vigilant.
A police spokesman said: “We need the people of Essex to help us, by taking sensible precautions to protect their homes and giving us the information we need to put the criminals before the courts.
“When thieves have carried out a successful burglary in an area, they will sometimes return to the locale to carry out further break-ins.
“If you live close to a recent burglary scene, you should be particularly vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour.”
- In Balfour Close, Wickford, where householders awoke to find a burglar in their home at 3.28am on November 27. The intruder was slim and about 6ft tall. He was disturbed before he could take anything
- In Heybridge Road, Wickford, overnight between November 26 and 27, where the front door was forced and car keys and a £10,000 Ford Fiesta were taken.
- At a house in Hill Avenue from which jewellery was stolen during the afternoon of November 29.
- In South Ridge, Billericay overnight on November 29 and 30, where a BMW 520, worth £17,000, was taken from outside a house. A handbag was also stolen.
- In Belmont Avenue, Wickford, where raiders forced the front door of a house overnight between November 29 and 30, and took 2010 Mercedes C200, worth £10,000.
- In Waverley Crescent, Wickford, on the night of On houses in Deirdre Avenue, and Fryern Gardens where a total of £50 was stolen on the afternoon of November 30.
- At two houses in Brunwins Close where again jewellery was stolen at about the same time.
Comments are closed on this article.