Triangle’s rebuild faces more delays

Basildon Recorder: Triangle’s rebuild faces more delays Triangle’s rebuild faces more delays

THE £1.8million rebuild of a burnt down shopping parade is already falling behind schedule.

Basildon Council planned to have builders working at The Triangle, in Langdon Hills, this month, but contractors have only been given the opportunity to bid for the work this week.

They have until the middle of January to apply – a year after the four shops burnt down.

Only then will the council appoint a contractor.

David Burton-Sampson, chairman of Langdon Hills Residents’ Association, said they were worried the opening would be delayed further.

He said: “Obviously it’s disappointing the project is behind schedule before it’s even started.

“I am sure the residents will be equally disappointed.

“We would have expected this part of the project to go to plan because the council was in control and the ball was very much in its court to get the project moving.”

The new scheme will provide six shops, an increase of two, and 25 parking spaces, which is 19 more than previously provided.

There will also be five flats with dedicated parking spaces.

Basildon Council approved borrowing £1.1million to pay for the rebuild in October, along with a £700,000 insurance payout.

It plans to have the site completed by September next year.

Mr Burton-Sampson added: “Its schedule was certainly aspirational.

“With anything we are promised, we take the philosophy of seeing will be believing.

“We don’t doubt it will happen, but I hope it won’t be significantly overdue.

“Thankfully we have the temporary McColls shop, but likewise they are eager to get a permanent base.”

Stuart Sullivan, Basildon councillor responsible for resources, said: “We are providing a development that includes more shops, more parking, and better design and, with homes above, improved security.

“It’s vital we now find the right contractor to make this all happen.

“Our press statement in March stated it was hoped works would start on site towards the end of the year.

“We remain on course for this to happen, with demolition and preparation works anticipated later this month.

“There is no overall delay to the project to rebuild the Triangle shops.

“The projected completion date remains as the end of next year.

“We held a very well-attended consultation in September, during which residents gave us their views on the design.

“Having taken those views into account we’ve had to spend some more time on redesigning aspects of the plan and the associated planning application which goes to the development control and traffic management committee on December 10.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:07am Mon 9 Dec 13

Howard Cháse says...

They would have already been finished if it were houses...

Get your finger out Basildon Council!
They would have already been finished if it were houses... Get your finger out Basildon Council! Howard Cháse

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree