Speed traps hotspot nabs 2,213 drivers in Basildon

Basildon Recorder: Speed traps hotspot nabs 2,213 drivers in Basildon Speed traps hotspot nabs 2,213 drivers in Basildon

TODAY the Echo can reveal Basildon’s number one speed trap hotspot.

Figures, obtained through a Freedom of Information request show the camera in London Road, Pitsea, near the Glenmere junction, is top number plate taker.

A whopping 2,213 motorists have been nabbed by it in just three years – 278 drivers in 2011, 1,706 in 2012 and 229 last year.

The next hottest spot is Southend Road, Billericay, near Hickstars Lane – 1,100 drivers have been caught out by the camera there since 2011.

Yet it comes as the number of drivers caught speeding has halved from 3,281 in 2012 to 1,527 in 2013. The number of people caught jumping red lights has also halved from 562 incidents in 2012 to 224 in 2013.

In 2013 a speed camera in Nevendon Road, Wickford, north of Borwick Lane towards Basildon, failed to catch any drivers at all.

A camera at the traffic lights in Cranes Farm Road, Basildon, near Miles Gray Road also didn’t catch out anyone in 2012 or 2013.

The findings have caused some confusion.

Essex Police, which is responsible for them, said the dramatic fall could be down to cameras running out of film.

A spokesman said some cameras could also have been switched off for “logistical reasons”

after failing to meet the quota for number of people killed or seriously injured down, a certain stretch of road.

Tory councillor David Abrahall, who also represents Pitsea South East ward, said cameras were just a cash cow for authorities and other traffic calming measures should be used.

He said: “I don’t believe they act as a deterrent. I think these figures show that. There are other methods like speed humps which are better.

“They force you to slow down whereas drivers just slow down for cameras and then speed up.”

Aidan McGurran, Labour councillor for Pitsea South East, added: “Often in areas where there is speeding, it could be down to improper signage or a change to the speed limit so it may be we have to look at these areas to see if the signs are clear enough.”

In the past three years in Basildon, 258 drivers have been prosecuted for speeding, 1,625 fined and had points on their licence while 5,262 have been sent on a speed awareness course.

Speed trap hotspot nabs 2,213 drivers ‘I don’t believe they act as a deterrent. There are other methods like speed humps which are better ý Speed camera – catching drivers in Runwell Road, Wickford.

MORE drivers could be caught out, as speed cameras across Essex are being upgraded to make them more reliable.

Over the summer Essex Police will be converting all of their 100 cameras to digital. This means they will no longer require film, so they won’t stop working when kit runs out of tape.

Currently only average speed cameras on the A127 and Canvey Way are digital.

A spokesman said: “The safety cameras positioned on a stretch of the A127 and Canvey Way are digital.

“A programme of converting fixed safety cameras in Essex begins this summer and is expected to take 18 months.

“All the cameras are in active operation at various stages of the year.

“However, when they run out of camera film they will not operate until a technician attends to change it.

“Our 100 cameras are never all in operation at the same time for logistical reasons. Cameras play a small role in the long term strategy to enhance driver behaviour and improve motoring skills with road policing officers preferring to engage with motorists.

“Education plays a pivotal role in Essex Police tactics to reduce the number of injuries on the county’s roads with enforcement just one option to tackle mobile phone usage, failure to wear seatbelts, careless driving and other potentially lethal offences.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:34am Mon 17 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

Good way of killing two birds, with one stone, raising much needed cash, and dealing a blow, to the idiotic speedsters, giving them points to reflect their bad driving, will soon add up, culminating if they persist, with them losing their licence. Job well done, allows for more room for the law abiding folk..
Good way of killing two birds, with one stone, raising much needed cash, and dealing a blow, to the idiotic speedsters, giving them points to reflect their bad driving, will soon add up, culminating if they persist, with them losing their licence. Job well done, allows for more room for the law abiding folk.. carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: 8

7:36am Mon 17 Mar 14

No1 Shoplifter says...

Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up.
Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up. No1 Shoplifter
  • Score: 6

7:48am Mon 17 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

No1 Shoplifter wrote:
Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up.
I heard that just past these obvious cameras are some covert speed cams, like they have down the A127, fishing nets with micro mesh, catches everything, so many get caught...
[quote][p][bold]No1 Shoplifter[/bold] wrote: Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up.[/p][/quote]I heard that just past these obvious cameras are some covert speed cams, like they have down the A127, fishing nets with micro mesh, catches everything, so many get caught... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: -4

7:58am Mon 17 Mar 14

bob7 says...

It's about time they put speed cameras up between Sadlers and Tarpots. It's a 30mph limit but most drivers still seem to think they are in a national limit zone. Cars, vans, lorries, buses, coaches all whizz by at way over 30. There is one t**t on a moped who regularly goes along there on his back wheel.
The police do have spot checks but they are too visible, a camera would be more use.
It's about time they put speed cameras up between Sadlers and Tarpots. It's a 30mph limit but most drivers still seem to think they are in a national limit zone. Cars, vans, lorries, buses, coaches all whizz by at way over 30. There is one t**t on a moped who regularly goes along there on his back wheel. The police do have spot checks but they are too visible, a camera would be more use. bob7
  • Score: 9

8:02am Mon 17 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

bob7 wrote:
It's about time they put speed cameras up between Sadlers and Tarpots. It's a 30mph limit but most drivers still seem to think they are in a national limit zone. Cars, vans, lorries, buses, coaches all whizz by at way over 30. There is one t**t on a moped who regularly goes along there on his back wheel. The police do have spot checks but they are too visible, a camera would be more use.
fair play to the guy on ther moped..... great show of skill and riding ability
[quote][p][bold]bob7[/bold] wrote: It's about time they put speed cameras up between Sadlers and Tarpots. It's a 30mph limit but most drivers still seem to think they are in a national limit zone. Cars, vans, lorries, buses, coaches all whizz by at way over 30. There is one t**t on a moped who regularly goes along there on his back wheel. The police do have spot checks but they are too visible, a camera would be more use.[/p][/quote]fair play to the guy on ther moped..... great show of skill and riding ability pembury53
  • Score: -17

8:16am Mon 17 Mar 14

jameskerin says...

The traffic light camera hasn't caught anyone for 2 years. A speed camera hasn't caught anyone for a year. Surely its time to take them ones down and save a bit of much needed cash to repair all the basildon pot holes
The traffic light camera hasn't caught anyone for 2 years. A speed camera hasn't caught anyone for a year. Surely its time to take them ones down and save a bit of much needed cash to repair all the basildon pot holes jameskerin
  • Score: 16

9:15am Mon 17 Mar 14

Rouge9 says...

The problem with Speed cameras, is that once they stop taking a certain level of money the limit will change again, remember these are the cash machine for the county, and the "house" always wins.
The problem with Speed cameras, is that once they stop taking a certain level of money the limit will change again, remember these are the cash machine for the county, and the "house" always wins. Rouge9
  • Score: 7

9:16am Mon 17 Mar 14

Rouge9 says...

carnmountyouknowitma
kessense
wrote:
No1 Shoplifter wrote: Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up.
I heard that just past these obvious cameras are some covert speed cams, like they have down the A127, fishing nets with micro mesh, catches everything, so many get caught...
No such thing. Where did you hear about these?
[quote][p][bold]carnmountyouknowitma kessense[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]No1 Shoplifter[/bold] wrote: Biggest cash cow going. I simply just slow down and then speed back up.[/p][/quote]I heard that just past these obvious cameras are some covert speed cams, like they have down the A127, fishing nets with micro mesh, catches everything, so many get caught...[/p][/quote]No such thing. Where did you hear about these? Rouge9
  • Score: 4

9:27am Mon 17 Mar 14

blackheart says...

I think variable speed limits would be better, it's 2014 the technology is available.

A school on a main road might be 30 all the time. At 8-9 and 3-5 in the afternoon when the kids are about 20 might be appropriate, at 2:00am maybe 50 would be OK. It's frustrating sticking to 30 on a road at 2 in the morning when the road is completely deserted.
I think variable speed limits would be better, it's 2014 the technology is available. A school on a main road might be 30 all the time. At 8-9 and 3-5 in the afternoon when the kids are about 20 might be appropriate, at 2:00am maybe 50 would be OK. It's frustrating sticking to 30 on a road at 2 in the morning when the road is completely deserted. blackheart
  • Score: 11

10:56am Mon 17 Mar 14

Howard Cháse says...

Ker-ching!
Ker-ching! Howard Cháse
  • Score: 5

11:50am Mon 17 Mar 14

Howard Cháse says...

Get a pushbike and go past them over the speed limit......
Get a pushbike and go past them over the speed limit...... Howard Cháse
  • Score: 2

2:58pm Mon 17 Mar 14

John T Pharro says...

What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident. John T Pharro
  • Score: 2

7:49pm Mon 17 Mar 14

I hate the police! says...

John T Pharro wrote:
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say. I hate the police!
  • Score: -3

8:00pm Mon 17 Mar 14

John T Pharro says...

I hate the police! wrote:
John T Pharro wrote:
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say.
Better to get rid of drivers like you preferable before you kill or injure an innocent person like a child.
[quote][p][bold]I hate the police![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say.[/p][/quote]Better to get rid of drivers like you preferable before you kill or injure an innocent person like a child. John T Pharro
  • Score: 4

8:59pm Mon 17 Mar 14

I hate the police! says...

John T Pharro wrote:
I hate the police! wrote:
John T Pharro wrote:
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say.
Better to get rid of drivers like you preferable before you kill or injure an innocent person like a child.
The thrill I get out of speeding though is unbelievable.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]I hate the police![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]I speed/break the law everyday. I've never had a serious accident. There nothing but cash cows and targets for vandals who set them on fire. Get rid of them all I say.[/p][/quote]Better to get rid of drivers like you preferable before you kill or injure an innocent person like a child.[/p][/quote]The thrill I get out of speeding though is unbelievable. I hate the police!
  • Score: -4

12:43am Tue 18 Mar 14

railfan235 says...

i like the bit where they say the speed camrea on nevendon road never caught anyone i walk passed them every day and i see them go off at least 3 times before i get passed them this paper please
i like the bit where they say the speed camrea on nevendon road never caught anyone i walk passed them every day and i see them go off at least 3 times before i get passed them this paper please railfan235
  • Score: -3

11:21am Tue 18 Mar 14

Howard Cháse says...

railfan235 wrote:
i like the bit where they say the speed camrea on nevendon road never caught anyone i walk passed them every day and i see them go off at least 3 times before i get passed them this paper please
Blimey you must walk fast.....
[quote][p][bold]railfan235[/bold] wrote: i like the bit where they say the speed camrea on nevendon road never caught anyone i walk passed them every day and i see them go off at least 3 times before i get passed them this paper please[/p][/quote]Blimey you must walk fast..... Howard Cháse
  • Score: 5

1:11pm Tue 18 Mar 14

exBillericayDicky says...

John T Pharro wrote:
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed.

Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident.
Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed. Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident. Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence exBillericayDicky
  • Score: 3

3:14pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Mikkel1 says...

Like we have no Speed Cameras here in West Norfolk, we have NO police patrols and speeding is RIFE, including a policewoman I followed yesterday who was also speeding, so I flashed my headlights, but she simply ignored me.

I know it was a policewoman, very rare sight here, as I saw her as I pulled out of a local garage.
Like we have no Speed Cameras here in West Norfolk, we have NO police patrols and speeding is RIFE, including a policewoman I followed yesterday who was also speeding, so I flashed my headlights, but she simply ignored me. I know it was a policewoman, very rare sight here, as I saw her as I pulled out of a local garage. Mikkel1
  • Score: -3

3:30pm Tue 18 Mar 14

J Arthur Rank says...

Mikkel1 wrote:
Like we have no Speed Cameras here in West Norfolk, we have NO police patrols and speeding is RIFE, including a policewoman I followed yesterday who was also speeding, so I flashed my headlights, but she simply ignored me.

I know it was a policewoman, very rare sight here, as I saw her as I pulled out of a local garage.
I'm glad it was a local garage that you had pulled out of. Had it not been you would have missed the policewoman.
[quote][p][bold]Mikkel1[/bold] wrote: Like we have no Speed Cameras here in West Norfolk, we have NO police patrols and speeding is RIFE, including a policewoman I followed yesterday who was also speeding, so I flashed my headlights, but she simply ignored me. I know it was a policewoman, very rare sight here, as I saw her as I pulled out of a local garage.[/p][/quote]I'm glad it was a local garage that you had pulled out of. Had it not been you would have missed the policewoman. J Arthur Rank
  • Score: 4

6:15pm Tue 18 Mar 14

John T Pharro says...

exBillericayDicky wrote:
John T Pharro wrote:
What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed.

Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident.
Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence
So how do you explain since the average speed cameras installed on the A127 and Canvey Way have resulted in no serious accidents or deaths and a reduction in all accidents?
[quote][p][bold]exBillericayDicky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed. Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident. Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence[/p][/quote]So how do you explain since the average speed cameras installed on the A127 and Canvey Way have resulted in no serious accidents or deaths and a reduction in all accidents? John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

9:25am Thu 20 Mar 14

Letmetryagain says...

As you say, the average speed cameras certainly seem to be having a positive effect on the A.127.
It can be annoying though when someone is in the 50mph zone, doing 40mph in the outside lane, and refuses to move over.
As you say, the average speed cameras certainly seem to be having a positive effect on the A.127. It can be annoying though when someone is in the 50mph zone, doing 40mph in the outside lane, and refuses to move over. Letmetryagain
  • Score: 1

1:54pm Fri 21 Mar 14

exBillericayDicky says...

John T Pharro wrote:
exBillericayDicky wrote:
John T Pharro wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.
Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed. Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident. Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence
So how do you explain since the average speed cameras installed on the A127 and Canvey Way have resulted in no serious accidents or deaths and a reduction in all accidents?
Luck.
A127, 2 lanes, Canvey Way 1 lane. All it takes is 1 person per lane to slow down and you get bunching. No big science but sheep on the road and no ability to pass cars, especially when some driver decide that they are the speed police and drive in lane 2 at 40 mph.

All you need is threats and fear of prosecution by the state to quell the masses into blind obedience
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]exBillericayDicky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: What a stupid decision to turn off cameras because they don't catch drivers speeding. The very reason for the cameras to to stop drivers speeding so if there are no drivers speeding they are doing the purpose they were installed for. Turn them off and the speeding starts again risking a serious accident.[/p][/quote]Never heard of Regression to the Mean ? look up Safespeed. Swindon turned off their cameras and in the 12 months + there has not been an increase in serious accidents. Cameras do not reduce accidents, they just move them somewhere else and raise money for the government. The first thing almost (90%+) everyone does when they see a camera is look down at the speedo, therefore taking eyes off the road and raising the probability of incident. Turn off All cameras and go back to Proper Policing of the roads, a copper in a car using his/her observation and Intelligence[/p][/quote]So how do you explain since the average speed cameras installed on the A127 and Canvey Way have resulted in no serious accidents or deaths and a reduction in all accidents?[/p][/quote]Luck. A127, 2 lanes, Canvey Way 1 lane. All it takes is 1 person per lane to slow down and you get bunching. No big science but sheep on the road and no ability to pass cars, especially when some driver decide that they are the speed police and drive in lane 2 at 40 mph. All you need is threats and fear of prosecution by the state to quell the masses into blind obedience exBillericayDicky
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree