Basildon Council in bid to turn lights back on

Kelly and George Phillips had their garden shed broken into

Kelly and George Phillips had their garden shed broken into

First published in News Exclusive by

Basildon Council wants to end County Hall’s late-night blackout by installing its own LED lamps on streetlights.

John Dornan, councillor responsible for the environment, has instructed officers to look at investigating how they could pay for the scheme themselves.

He said installing the energy-efficient LED lights would significantly reduce County Hall’s electrical bill.

However, under the plans Essex County Council would still foot that bill.

The Echo understands transport bosses at County Hall reacted unfavourably when the proposal was initially put to them.

Mr Dornan has led negotiations on the streetlights with County Hall, and said: “Since the lights have gone out, this is gaining traction and there have been an awful lot of pushbacks from residents and the Echo’s readers, who know this is a cost-cutting exercise.”

The lights went out from midnight to 5am on the majority of streets in Basildon last month after Essex County Council forced through the proposals, despite fury from fearful residents.

Basildon Council would pay for the energy-efficient bulbs using a one-off capital cost, with LEDs designed to reduce energy bills, which then County Hall would pick up.

It is believed around 60 to 70 per cent could be cut off local authority energy bills by installing the lamps.

More and more councils – including Southend – have elected to install the lamps to save cash rather than roll-out a programme of switch offs.

County Hall will save about £222,000 a year by turning off the lamps in Basildon, but Mr Dornan said that cost would again be drastically reduced with LED bulbs, which also have a longer lifespan compared to regular lights.

Mr Dornan added: “Tome it is a win-win situation, as residents get their lights back on and county make savings – albeit over a longer period.”

He insisted the authority could pull money out of its £24million of reserves, or borrow the cash. In Southend, the Tory administration has spent £2.65million installing the modern bulbs, in a fiveyear rolling programme.

Essex County Council refused to say why it had initially turned down Basildon Council’s offer.

A spokesman said: “We have looked into the possibility of using LED lighting; however this would not be economically viable for a county of our size at present. LED lighting is a new technology and the long-term performance is not yet fully known.”

 

Families claim they are living in fear

Families say they are living in fear after the lights went out in Basildon.

Essex County Council has said there is no evidence crime will go up due to the lights being turned off.

But one family has suffered a break-in, while another resident claims she had to chase thieves away.

Michael Smith was mugged in darkness in Uppermayne, and he blamed the lack of light for the incident.

Kelly Phillips, 42, of the Gore, in Basildon, had her shed broken into.

She said: “We had left our shed unlocked for years, but as soon as the lights went out we had it broken into.

They took some floodlighting.

“It’s very scary and I don’t go out after midnight now as I just don’t feel safe.

 

Basildon Recorder:

Michelle Thacker, 38, disturbed burglars at her home in Kirby Road, Basildon.

She said: “I’ve lived here for 11 years and I’ve always felt secure until now.

“My daughter woke me to say she could hear some people. I looked out and saw two people trying to break in. I screamed and they fled.

I don’t feel safe any more.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:42am Thu 27 Mar 14

Jack222 says...

There is no proof that the lack of lights cause crime - most houses, for example, are burgled in daylight when the criminals think the occupants are out. Criminals don't actually want to meet people!

Can we have less emotional paranoia on this subject?

(I note one person complained about her shed having things stolen - but she hadn't even locked it! Let's have some adult choices made. WE don't live in a perfect world - if your shed is unlocked it's like leaving the front door open when you go to the shops or the keys in your car when you are not there. NO sympathy on that one!)
There is no proof that the lack of lights cause crime - most houses, for example, are burgled in daylight when the criminals think the occupants are out. Criminals don't actually want to meet people! Can we have less emotional paranoia on this subject? (I note one person complained about her shed having things stolen - but she hadn't even locked it! Let's have some adult choices made. WE don't live in a perfect world - if your shed is unlocked it's like leaving the front door open when you go to the shops or the keys in your car when you are not there. NO sympathy on that one!) Jack222
  • Score: -19

10:55am Thu 27 Mar 14

Vange Resident says...

EVERYONE should feel safe in and outside your home at any time of day or night!
EVERYONE should feel safe in and outside your home at any time of day or night! Vange Resident
  • Score: 15

12:26pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Woodenspoon says...

I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets?

I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different?
People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference.
If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days.
Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you. Woodenspoon
  • Score: -23

12:56pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Kim Gandy says...

Woodenspoon wrote:
I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets?

I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different?
People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference.
If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days.
Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic.

What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares.

What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo?

And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress.

It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier.

And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable?

Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening.

The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money.

If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council.

And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member.

There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful.

There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.
[quote][p][bold]Woodenspoon[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.[/p][/quote]Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic. What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares. What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo? And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress. It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier. And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable? Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening. The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money. If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council. And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member. There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful. There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 15

1:11pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Ian P says...

"The Echo understands transport bosses at County Hall reacted unfavourably when the proposal was initially put to them". That hardly comes as a surprise. If they agree now to the installation of LED lighting it would be seen as admission that they got it wrong when they spent £6.5Mil of taxpayer's money installing equipment to turn the lights off.
"The Echo understands transport bosses at County Hall reacted unfavourably when the proposal was initially put to them". That hardly comes as a surprise. If they agree now to the installation of LED lighting it would be seen as admission that they got it wrong when they spent £6.5Mil of taxpayer's money installing equipment to turn the lights off. Ian P
  • Score: 18

1:12pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Woodenspoon says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Woodenspoon wrote:
I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets?

I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different?
People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference.
If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days.
Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic.

What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares.

What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo?

And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress.

It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier.

And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable?

Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening.

The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money.

If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council.

And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member.

There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful.

There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.
People need to bring back the "Community Spirit". Make friends with neighbours, know your neighbours, help them, let them help you. Everyone has neighbours, family or friends that can help them if they are not capable/able bodied enough to do so. But everyone is too wrapped up in themselves and too selfish these days, that's half the problem.
Yes, i agree the council should make some of the cuts on their spending but as you say it should be done the right way. No one forces or makes you use low energy bulbs, you choose to for whatever reason. I have no venom, just say it as I see it. I don't agree with people being chauffeur driven round unless it comes out of their own pocket and not the general public's purse, but it seems as that is a perk or part of the job they perform so its acceptable for them to have one. Not much I can do about, I am afraid.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodenspoon[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.[/p][/quote]Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic. What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares. What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo? And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress. It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier. And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable? Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening. The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money. If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council. And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member. There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful. There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.[/p][/quote]People need to bring back the "Community Spirit". Make friends with neighbours, know your neighbours, help them, let them help you. Everyone has neighbours, family or friends that can help them if they are not capable/able bodied enough to do so. But everyone is too wrapped up in themselves and too selfish these days, that's half the problem. Yes, i agree the council should make some of the cuts on their spending but as you say it should be done the right way. No one forces or makes you use low energy bulbs, you choose to for whatever reason. I have no venom, just say it as I see it. I don't agree with people being chauffeur driven round unless it comes out of their own pocket and not the general public's purse, but it seems as that is a perk or part of the job they perform so its acceptable for them to have one. Not much I can do about, I am afraid. Woodenspoon
  • Score: 0

1:26pm Thu 27 Mar 14

Ageing Commuter says...

If the shed was unlocked, then it wasn't 'broken into' was it. The Perp just helped themselves to what was in there by merely opening the unlocked door.
As the Polleece say........."Lock it or lose it". Or these days..... "Lock it and then suffer more damage when they break down the door to get in". Happy Days.
If the shed was unlocked, then it wasn't 'broken into' was it. The Perp just helped themselves to what was in there by merely opening the unlocked door. As the Polleece say........."Lock it or lose it". Or these days..... "Lock it and then suffer more damage when they break down the door to get in". Happy Days. Ageing Commuter
  • Score: 0

3:06pm Thu 27 Mar 14

cg1blue says...

Woodenspoon wrote:
I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
Strange how you and Jack222 seem to revel in the big switch off. Makes me wonder if you have a vested interest.
We all know we can take extra security measures and carry torches etc. The point most of us are making is that we've had street lighting since Victorian times, and for good reasons. Lighting helps us to see things and make us feel more secure at night (particularly the elderly and vulnerable).
Are you in favour of this because it will save the council some money? Because it's going to make hardly any difference to the council budget, certainly not enough to improve services, fix roads etc.
So if it's not the money, why are you so keen to support the switch off?
Is it just a macho ego trip thing, i.e. "I'm not scared of the dark, so why should anyone else be?"
Or do you work the 'nightshift' on our streets?
[quote][p][bold]Woodenspoon[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.[/p][/quote]Strange how you and Jack222 seem to revel in the big switch off. Makes me wonder if you have a vested interest. We all know we can take extra security measures and carry torches etc. The point most of us are making is that we've had street lighting since Victorian times, and for good reasons. Lighting helps us to see things and make us feel more secure at night (particularly the elderly and vulnerable). Are you in favour of this because it will save the council some money? Because it's going to make hardly any difference to the council budget, certainly not enough to improve services, fix roads etc. So if it's not the money, why are you so keen to support the switch off? Is it just a macho ego trip thing, i.e. "I'm not scared of the dark, so why should anyone else be?" Or do you work the 'nightshift' on our streets? cg1blue
  • Score: 14

3:14pm Thu 27 Mar 14

cg1blue says...

Ageing Commuter wrote:
If the shed was unlocked, then it wasn't 'broken into' was it. The Perp just helped themselves to what was in there by merely opening the unlocked door. As the Polleece say........."Lo
ck it or lose it". Or these days..... "Lock it and then suffer more damage when they break down the door to get in". Happy Days.
I think you'll find it's illegal to enter somebody's garden, open their shed door (locked or unlocked) and steal items. You may think it's acceptable to do that if the shed is unlocked, but the majority of us wouldn't agree....thankfully
[quote][p][bold]Ageing Commuter[/bold] wrote: If the shed was unlocked, then it wasn't 'broken into' was it. The Perp just helped themselves to what was in there by merely opening the unlocked door. As the Polleece say........."Lo ck it or lose it". Or these days..... "Lock it and then suffer more damage when they break down the door to get in". Happy Days.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find it's illegal to enter somebody's garden, open their shed door (locked or unlocked) and steal items. You may think it's acceptable to do that if the shed is unlocked, but the majority of us wouldn't agree....thankfully cg1blue
  • Score: 11

3:36pm Thu 27 Mar 14

beejiu says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
Woodenspoon wrote:
I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets?

I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different?
People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference.
If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days.
Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic.

What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares.

What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo?

And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress.

It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier.

And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable?

Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening.

The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money.

If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council.

And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member.

There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful.

There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.
So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark? Studies have shown that turning the lights off deters crime. Believe it or not, criminals are scared of the dark, too. I've actually been enjoying the lights off -- I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodenspoon[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.[/p][/quote]Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic. What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares. What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo? And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress. It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier. And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable? Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening. The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money. If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council. And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member. There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful. There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.[/p][/quote]So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark? Studies have shown that turning the lights off deters crime. Believe it or not, criminals are scared of the dark, too. I've actually been enjoying the lights off -- I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom. beejiu
  • Score: -12

3:40pm Thu 27 Mar 14

cg1blue says...

beejiu wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
Woodenspoon wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.
Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic. What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares. What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo? And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress. It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier. And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable? Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening. The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money. If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council. And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member. There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful. There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.
So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark? Studies have shown that turning the lights off deters crime. Believe it or not, criminals are scared of the dark, too. I've actually been enjoying the lights off -- I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom.
"So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark?"
" I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom."

So you think we should keep the lights off because one person has curtains that are too thin?
[quote][p][bold]beejiu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodenspoon[/bold] wrote: I wonder if the flood lights were stolen to be used to light up the dark streets? I agree, common sense needs to prevail in these times. You need to have security these days, regardless. Do you leave your house unlocked 24/7 whether you are there or not? Do you leave your car unlocked or have the engine running 24/7? No, you tend to lock them, so why is a shed any different? People get mugged/raped etc during broad daylight when the street lights are not on, so don't for one minute think that having the street lights on at night is going to make the slightest difference. If you are that worried about the street lights, put up your own security lights, B&Q etc do them as cheap as ever these days. Grow up and start to think for yourselves and do things for yourselves by getting off your fat arses rather than expecting everyone else to do it for you.[/p][/quote]Well that's not very helpful is it? Your response is too simplistic. What about the young woman in Pitsea who had to give up her night job because it meant a walk home down dark streets. She couldn't afford cab fares. What about the rising number of incidences after lights out that are being reported in the Echo? And what about the fear of old people I have spoken to who are afraid to put the cat out or go outside their door for whatever reason. Often these people live alone and fear they would not be heard if they called out in distress. It's frightening enough for the elderly these days without making it scarier. And who should be getting off their fat arses? The elderly, the frail, the vulnerable? Lots of people I know have taken measures to light up and secure their properties but it won't stop it happening. The fact is that £6.7 million has been spent on a scheme that saves only one million pounds a year; a scheme that, like it or not, has been done primarily to appease our overlords in Brussels rather than save money. If we are all expected to use low level energy saving lightbulbs then why not the council. And talking of saving money, County Hall itself is often lit up like a beacon and runs air conditioning and heating all year round even when uninhabited. There are free dinners; the chairman has a chauffeur driven limo. All of those things should be scrapped; they are also a drain on energy aren't they? Why don't you direct your venom at them, rather than vulnerable people? I have, I have written several times to the relevant Cabinet member. There is so much more involved in this than meets the eye so just dismissing the general public as being lazy isn't helpful. There are all kinds of issues here, so many more than are reported. Some people are genuinely scared - and others have suffered related crimes.[/p][/quote]So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark? Studies have shown that turning the lights off deters crime. Believe it or not, criminals are scared of the dark, too. I've actually been enjoying the lights off -- I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom.[/p][/quote]"So we should turn the lights on because one woman is scared of the dark?" " I can get a decent nights sleep without the sodium-orange glow piercing into my bedroom." So you think we should keep the lights off because one person has curtains that are too thin? cg1blue
  • Score: 15

5:37pm Thu 27 Mar 14

grimmy18 says...

"A spokesman said: “We have looked into the possibility of using LED lighting; however this would not be economically viable for a county of our size at present. LED lighting is a new technology and the long-term performance is not yet fully known." erm can i stop you right there mr spokesman LED lights have been about for way over 10 years? why the hell would big company's offer 10 years light ? again the council need to get more info beford saying anything.
"A spokesman said: “We have looked into the possibility of using LED lighting; however this would not be economically viable for a county of our size at present. LED lighting is a new technology and the long-term performance is not yet fully known." erm can i stop you right there mr spokesman LED lights have been about for way over 10 years? why the hell would big company's offer 10 years light ? again the council need to get more info beford saying anything. grimmy18
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree