Life-saving gift in memory of Mark

Life-saving gift in memory of Mark

Life-saving gift in memory of Mark

First published in News
Last updated
by , Senior reporter

THE family of a young man who died suddenly and unexpectedly have donated a piece of lifesaving equipment to his old school.

Mark Abbott, 18, of Newington Avenue, Southend, died in hospital from sudden adult death syndrome after collapsing at Mayhem nightclub in January last year.

The teenager was studying the a computer games industry course at South Essex College.

Yesterday teachers at his former school, Cecil Jones College, in Wentworth Road, Southend, were taught how to use their new defibrillator.

It was donated by Mark’s family – parents Sue and Simon, sister Leanne, 25, and brothers Jamie, 26, and Luke 17 – through SADS UK. The charity aims to get the machines, which shock peoples’ hearts in order to restart them, into all schools.

Jamie, 26, said: “He was a cheeky chappie who just enjoyed life. He was as good a friend as you can get.

“We had a lot of people wanting to make donations in his memory after we lost him, so we looked around and decided this waswhat we wanted to do.

“It is an unexpected thing and after speaking to SADS UK we’ve become aware of all sorts of things, like the fact that if there’s a defibrillator present your chance of survival goes up from about five per cent to 50 per cent.”

Gordon Bamber, assistant headteacher at the school, said: “Mark was a nice young chap who had his whole life ahead of him.

“Death is never a good thing, but when it’s so untimely it’s all the more shocking.

“We were pleased to be approached by the family and to be able to have this piece of equipment in the school.

“If it only ever stopped one loss of life it will prove its worth, but it is something we do hope we will never have to use.”

For more information about the condition, visit www.sadsuk.org.uk

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:16pm Thu 8 May 14

LexyGirl says...

I remembering hearing how he collapsed and died and think its wonderful that this vital piece of equipment has been donated to his school, which means something good has come out of something so very sad.
May his memory live on forever in the hearts of all that knew him x
I remembering hearing how he collapsed and died and think its wonderful that this vital piece of equipment has been donated to his school, which means something good has come out of something so very sad. May his memory live on forever in the hearts of all that knew him x LexyGirl
  • Score: 3

7:57am Fri 9 May 14

sesibollox says...

Fantastic news,and what a fitting gift for life, I bet they were shocked, though extremely grateful.
Fantastic news,and what a fitting gift for life, I bet they were shocked, though extremely grateful. sesibollox
  • Score: 1

4:22pm Fri 9 May 14

Kim Gandy says...

All public premises should have this equipment available. I think they are more widely available now than ever before.

Also in today's news Millie's Trust, campaigning for First Aid to be compulsory for nursery workers. They are circulating a petition to get the government to bring this into force.

It's worthwhile anyone working in schools or nurseries being trained in First Aid but how much better if all teachers and nursery staff were trained instead of just one or two appointed persons.

Having a First Aid certificate is worthwhile for any of us. We never know when we may have to use it. Defibrillator training doesn't take long either. First Aid courses can be tailored. However a full First Aid at Work course takes a few days.

It might also be a good idea for the college students to learn how to use the defibrillator too. Actually I think First Aid should be compulsorily taught in schools and colleges too.

Think of the lives that could be saved.

I hope some real good can come out of the tragic death of this young man.
All public premises should have this equipment available. I think they are more widely available now than ever before. Also in today's news Millie's Trust, campaigning for First Aid to be compulsory for nursery workers. They are circulating a petition to get the government to bring this into force. It's worthwhile anyone working in schools or nurseries being trained in First Aid but how much better if all teachers and nursery staff were trained instead of just one or two appointed persons. Having a First Aid certificate is worthwhile for any of us. We never know when we may have to use it. Defibrillator training doesn't take long either. First Aid courses can be tailored. However a full First Aid at Work course takes a few days. It might also be a good idea for the college students to learn how to use the defibrillator too. Actually I think First Aid should be compulsorily taught in schools and colleges too. Think of the lives that could be saved. I hope some real good can come out of the tragic death of this young man. Kim Gandy
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree