Passengers punched on train

TWO passengers were seriously assaulted on a train.

A group of two men and a woman boarded a train bound for Southend Central at Fenchurch Street, London.

A man in his 40s got sprayed with beer by the group and asked them to calm down, then was punched in the face by one of them.

His friend tried to intervene and was set upon by the other two group members, who punched him several times.

The train left London at 9.50pm on July 1 and British Transport Police want to speak to any witnesses.

Detective Constable Paul Cudby added: “This was a vicious and unprovoked assault, which left two men seriously injured as a result.

“If you were on the train at the same time, witnessed the altercation with the security guards or recognise any of the people pictured in the CCTV image, I urge you to get in contact."

The first man police want to speak to in connection with the assault is described as white, in his mid-20s, of skinny build, with short dark hair and about six feet tall. He wore a blue t-shirt, grey tracksuit bottoms and sand-coloured steel toe-cap boots. The second man police want to talk to was white, in his 40s, with short grey hair, about five feet and eight inches tall and of a stocky build.

He was wearing a dark t-shirt with a large logo.

The woman police are looking for was white, about five feet and four inches tall, with bobbed red hair and wearing a plan black dress.

Anyone with information can call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference B8/LNA of 5/8/2011.

Or they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:30pm Wed 10 Aug 11

el caballero de la noche says...

Yet another example of lawless thugs that have no fear of anything and will rule the streets.
Yet another example of lawless thugs that have no fear of anything and will rule the streets. el caballero de la noche
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Wed 10 Aug 11

Balexan says...

How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk?
They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?
How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk? They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they? Balexan
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Wed 10 Aug 11

frank & monty says...

Another story that is well over a month old...
Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story.
Well done Echo!
Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo! frank & monty
  • Score: 0

6:08pm Wed 10 Aug 11

naughtyladyofshadylane says...

I agree with Balexan ! also July 1st ? where hasthis case been hiding, any witnesses may be long gone / or forgotten all about it!
I agree with Balexan ! also July 1st ? where hasthis case been hiding, any witnesses may be long gone / or forgotten all about it! naughtyladyofshadylane
  • Score: 0

7:18pm Wed 10 Aug 11

jolllyboy says...

Print the picture of the culprits on line if you want people to recognise them.
Print the picture of the culprits on line if you want people to recognise them. jolllyboy
  • Score: 0

7:53pm Wed 10 Aug 11

el caballero de la noche says...

frank & monty wrote:
Another story that is well over a month old...
Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story.
Well done Echo!
Do you sell ice cream?
[quote][p][bold]frank & monty[/bold] wrote: Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo![/p][/quote]Do you sell ice cream? el caballero de la noche
  • Score: 0

8:20pm Wed 10 Aug 11

Discouraged says...

el caballero de la noche wrote:
frank & monty wrote:
Another story that is well over a month old...
Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story.
Well done Echo!
Do you sell ice cream?
el caballero de la noche , Hockleyite says...
7:53pm Wed 10 Aug 11
Do you sell ice cream?

Has el cab licked too many of his signed Maggie photos and given himself a brain disorder not to remember the biggest riots took place under a blue flag.
[quote][p][bold]el caballero de la noche[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frank & monty[/bold] wrote: Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo![/p][/quote]Do you sell ice cream?[/p][/quote]el caballero de la noche , Hockleyite says... 7:53pm Wed 10 Aug 11 Do you sell ice cream? Has el cab licked too many of his signed Maggie photos and given himself a brain disorder not to remember the biggest riots took place under a blue flag. Discouraged
  • Score: 0

8:53pm Wed 10 Aug 11

naughtyladyofshadylane says...

dont understand some of these comments , they are just one getting back at the other and vice versa !
dont understand some of these comments , they are just one getting back at the other and vice versa ! naughtyladyofshadylane
  • Score: 0

9:45pm Wed 10 Aug 11

John the resonator says...

naughtyladyofshadyla
ne
wrote:
dont understand some of these comments , they are just one getting back at the other and vice versa !
I disagree. They are subtly margibold set square across the span of this site in espirit of seeking harmonicles between people holding tight onto divergent believes and perspections.

I trust that is clear and settles it in one size for all.

Regrades.
[quote][p][bold]naughtyladyofshadyla ne[/bold] wrote: dont understand some of these comments , they are just one getting back at the other and vice versa ![/p][/quote]I disagree. They are subtly margibold set square across the span of this site in espirit of seeking harmonicles between people holding tight onto divergent believes and perspections. I trust that is clear and settles it in one size for all. Regrades. John the resonator
  • Score: 0

9:51pm Wed 10 Aug 11

John the resonator says...

And as for the crime, absolutely dreadful. I wonder if other passengers saw this and reported anything at the time. My worry is that a lot of people will look the other way, either for fear of also being attacked, fair enough or out of a sense of 'nothing to do with me.' As a result attacks like this can be carried out with impunity.
And as for the crime, absolutely dreadful. I wonder if other passengers saw this and reported anything at the time. My worry is that a lot of people will look the other way, either for fear of also being attacked, fair enough or out of a sense of 'nothing to do with me.' As a result attacks like this can be carried out with impunity. John the resonator
  • Score: 0

10:02pm Wed 10 Aug 11

Horace Wimpole says...

Balexan wrote:
How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk?
They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?
… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country).
[quote][p][bold]Balexan[/bold] wrote: How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk? They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?[/p][/quote]… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country). Horace Wimpole
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Wed 10 Aug 11

naughtyladyofshadylane says...

John the resonator, how pathetic. there are a lot of serious things happening at the mo, I dont see the points of silly comments! Your second comment was sensible ! regrades to you too
John the resonator, how pathetic. there are a lot of serious things happening at the mo, I dont see the points of silly comments! Your second comment was sensible ! regrades to you too naughtyladyofshadylane
  • Score: 0

10:32pm Wed 10 Aug 11

John the resonator says...

naughtyladyofshadyla
ne
wrote:
John the resonator, how pathetic. there are a lot of serious things happening at the mo, I dont see the points of silly comments! Your second comment was sensible ! regrades to you too
No offence intended.

Best wishes.
[quote][p][bold]naughtyladyofshadyla ne[/bold] wrote: John the resonator, how pathetic. there are a lot of serious things happening at the mo, I dont see the points of silly comments! Your second comment was sensible ! regrades to you too[/p][/quote]No offence intended. Best wishes. John the resonator
  • Score: 0

10:38pm Wed 10 Aug 11

John the resonator says...

Horace Wimpole wrote:
Balexan wrote:
How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk?
They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?
… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country).
In fact of course people can be prevented from boarding a plane when under the influence but does the same apply to rail travel? Obviously police have powers under 'drunk and disorderly' across the board but I simply don't know for other services. Any idea?
[quote][p][bold]Horace Wimpole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Balexan[/bold] wrote: How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk? They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?[/p][/quote]… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country).[/p][/quote]In fact of course people can be prevented from boarding a plane when under the influence but does the same apply to rail travel? Obviously police have powers under 'drunk and disorderly' across the board but I simply don't know for other services. Any idea? John the resonator
  • Score: 0

11:15pm Wed 10 Aug 11

z0mbee says...

John the resonator wrote:
Horace Wimpole wrote:
Balexan wrote:
How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk?
They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?
… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country).
In fact of course people can be prevented from boarding a plane when under the influence but does the same apply to rail travel? Obviously police have powers under 'drunk and disorderly' across the board but I simply don't know for other services. Any idea?
It isn't against the law to consume alcohol on a train*, but you can be arrested for being drunk on one. The British Transport Police, in a rare usage of common sense, says:

"BTP is not in favour of banning alcohol on all trains across the entire rail network. Alcohol brought on trains does not generally cause a problem. People being drunk before they travel does."

* The main exceptions being specially-designated 'dry trains', which C2C do not run, and TfL-operated trains.
[quote][p][bold]John the resonator[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Horace Wimpole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Balexan[/bold] wrote: How were they allowed on the train with booze, and by the sounds of it, drunk? They should of been refused entry to the train! Why weren't they?[/p][/quote]… Because there is no-one at the station in a position to do such a thing, and because c2c would prefer that the crimes just go ahead, and then try and sort things after the fact with CCTV footage (like the rest of the country).[/p][/quote]In fact of course people can be prevented from boarding a plane when under the influence but does the same apply to rail travel? Obviously police have powers under 'drunk and disorderly' across the board but I simply don't know for other services. Any idea?[/p][/quote]It isn't against the law to consume alcohol on a train*, but you can be arrested for being drunk on one. The British Transport Police, in a rare usage of common sense, says: "BTP is not in favour of banning alcohol on all trains across the entire rail network. Alcohol brought on trains does not generally cause a problem. People being drunk before they travel does." * The main exceptions being specially-designated 'dry trains', which C2C do not run, and TfL-operated trains. z0mbee
  • Score: 0

11:35pm Wed 10 Aug 11

John the resonator says...

OK thanks for that z0mbee, always wondered.
OK thanks for that z0mbee, always wondered. John the resonator
  • Score: 0

11:59pm Wed 10 Aug 11

bestell says...

Another example of C2C creating daylight robbery with their extortionate ticket prices and having nothing to show for it.

I have been on several trains where I have felt intimidated and threatened, one in particular earlier this year caused me to hae to get off half way on my journey, along with several other passengers in the middle of the afternoon due to a large group of lads (who jumped the barriers, and stood brazenly waiting for the train on the platform of Southend Central for 15 minutes with no one stopping them) who verbally abused the passengers, slapping people around the heads and made verbal threats to rape to a young girl. There is a complete lack of staff presence on the trains themselves, and a panic button to the driver just doesnt cut it. Rowdy groups should be approached and monitored as they would in other public establishment. I agree that not everybody who drinks alcohol on the train is a no gooder, but a higher security presence places on ALL trains by C2C would be a huge advantage and prevent situations like this one being prevented.
Another example of C2C creating daylight robbery with their extortionate ticket prices and having nothing to show for it. I have been on several trains where I have felt intimidated and threatened, one in particular earlier this year caused me to hae to get off half way on my journey, along with several other passengers in the middle of the afternoon due to a large group of lads (who jumped the barriers, and stood brazenly waiting for the train on the platform of Southend Central for 15 minutes with no one stopping them) who verbally abused the passengers, slapping people around the heads and made verbal threats to rape to a young girl. There is a complete lack of staff presence on the trains themselves, and a panic button to the driver just doesnt cut it. Rowdy groups should be approached and monitored as they would in other public establishment. I agree that not everybody who drinks alcohol on the train is a no gooder, but a higher security presence places on ALL trains by C2C would be a huge advantage and prevent situations like this one being prevented. bestell
  • Score: 0

12:10am Thu 11 Aug 11

bestell says...

bestell wrote:
Another example of C2C creating daylight robbery with their extortionate ticket prices and having nothing to show for it.

I have been on several trains where I have felt intimidated and threatened, one in particular earlier this year caused me to hae to get off half way on my journey, along with several other passengers in the middle of the afternoon due to a large group of lads (who jumped the barriers, and stood brazenly waiting for the train on the platform of Southend Central for 15 minutes with no one stopping them) who verbally abused the passengers, slapping people around the heads and made verbal threats to rape to a young girl. There is a complete lack of staff presence on the trains themselves, and a panic button to the driver just doesnt cut it. Rowdy groups should be approached and monitored as they would in other public establishment. I agree that not everybody who drinks alcohol on the train is a no gooder, but a higher security presence places on ALL trains by C2C would be a huge advantage and prevent situations like this one being prevented.
prevent situations like this one being created. Thats what I meant.
This is why I shouldn't be writing on the internet past midnight.
[quote][p][bold]bestell[/bold] wrote: Another example of C2C creating daylight robbery with their extortionate ticket prices and having nothing to show for it. I have been on several trains where I have felt intimidated and threatened, one in particular earlier this year caused me to hae to get off half way on my journey, along with several other passengers in the middle of the afternoon due to a large group of lads (who jumped the barriers, and stood brazenly waiting for the train on the platform of Southend Central for 15 minutes with no one stopping them) who verbally abused the passengers, slapping people around the heads and made verbal threats to rape to a young girl. There is a complete lack of staff presence on the trains themselves, and a panic button to the driver just doesnt cut it. Rowdy groups should be approached and monitored as they would in other public establishment. I agree that not everybody who drinks alcohol on the train is a no gooder, but a higher security presence places on ALL trains by C2C would be a huge advantage and prevent situations like this one being prevented.[/p][/quote]prevent situations like this one being created. Thats what I meant. This is why I shouldn't be writing on the internet past midnight. bestell
  • Score: 0

8:11am Thu 11 Aug 11

Carlton says...

frank & monty wrote:
Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo!
Go to www.btp.presscentre.
com and on the home page on the left,click on media releases then scroll down to 9th Aug for cctv and report.
[quote][p][bold]frank & monty[/bold] wrote: Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo![/p][/quote]Go to www.btp.presscentre. com and on the home page on the left,click on media releases then scroll down to 9th Aug for cctv and report. Carlton
  • Score: 0

8:59am Thu 11 Aug 11

frank & monty says...

Carlton wrote:
frank & monty wrote: Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo!
Go to www.btp.presscentre. com and on the home page on the left,click on media releases then scroll down to 9th Aug for cctv and report.
Thanks. Pity the Echo didn't include the link in the story.
[quote][p][bold]Carlton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frank & monty[/bold] wrote: Another story that is well over a month old... Also, according to the policeman we should be looking at CCTV images of these two losers. We are not, because they have not been attached to the story. Well done Echo![/p][/quote]Go to www.btp.presscentre. com and on the home page on the left,click on media releases then scroll down to 9th Aug for cctv and report.[/p][/quote]Thanks. Pity the Echo didn't include the link in the story. frank & monty
  • Score: 0

9:02am Thu 11 Aug 11

frank & monty says...

You really are a knob.
You really are a knob. frank & monty
  • Score: 0

9:05am Thu 11 Aug 11

frank & monty says...

frank & monty wrote:
You really are a knob.
Comment aimed at El Cab, who is, undoubtedly, a total knob.
[quote][p][bold]frank & monty[/bold] wrote: You really are a knob.[/p][/quote]Comment aimed at El Cab, who is, undoubtedly, a total knob. frank & monty
  • Score: 0

9:18am Thu 11 Aug 11

paulss1 says...

Sadly, if you get a late evening train like this you do get a bit of bother. Last time I saw it though, it was a suited City worker causing the mayhem by being very loud and obnoxious.

If the general pervading feeling was that fellow passengers would group together against such behaviour, more would do so. But who's going to be first to step in and do something with the uncertainty that other passengers will sit and do nothing?

Agree totally about ineffectual station staff though - they see stuff happening all the time and do little to prevent trouble starting.

Time for the silent law-abiding public to rise up and keep chavvy-scum behaviour in check, methinks.
Sadly, if you get a late evening train like this you do get a bit of bother. Last time I saw it though, it was a suited City worker causing the mayhem by being very loud and obnoxious. If the general pervading feeling was that fellow passengers would group together against such behaviour, more would do so. But who's going to be first to step in and do something with the uncertainty that other passengers will sit and do nothing? Agree totally about ineffectual station staff though - they see stuff happening all the time and do little to prevent trouble starting. Time for the silent law-abiding public to rise up and keep chavvy-scum behaviour in check, methinks. paulss1
  • Score: 0

12:08pm Thu 11 Aug 11

paulfuller says...

There must be an image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, shamed and brought to justice?
There must be an image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, shamed and brought to justice? paulfuller
  • Score: 0

10:15pm Thu 11 Aug 11

Nebs says...

paulfuller wrote:
There must be an image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, shamed and brought to justice?
There must be a blurred unrecognisable image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, get the adulation of their mates, and be let off?
[quote][p][bold]paulfuller[/bold] wrote: There must be an image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, shamed and brought to justice?[/p][/quote]There must be a blurred unrecognisable image of these low-lives on cctv, why not put it on here so they can be identified, get the adulation of their mates, and be let off? Nebs
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree