Robber tries to stab policeman in Westcliff armed robbery attempt

First published in News by

A MAN who tried to stab a police officer during a botched robbery is on the loose.

The robber brandishing a kitchen knife rushed into Dolly's Newsagents in Fairfax Drive, Westcliff, at 9.17pm on Friday before threatening an employee.

But two customers managed to get out of the shop unseen and flagged down a passing police car.

As two police officers entered the shop the robber ran towards then brandishing the knife and attempted to stab one of the officers.

Both officers aimed CS spray at the robber’s face which was mostly covered with a black ski mask. The man fled towards Prittlewell Brook near to the junction with Westbourne Grove.

A widespread search of the area was carried out by numerous police units and the Essex Police helicopter but there was no sign of the suspect.

Full story in Monday's Echo.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:51am Sat 1 Sep 12

al coniston says...

'flagged down a assing police car'

that's a bit unnecessary
'flagged down a assing police car' that's a bit unnecessary al coniston
  • Score: 3

1:45pm Sat 1 Sep 12

Rich'Carol says...

WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about.
WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about. Rich'Carol
  • Score: -5

1:57pm Sat 1 Sep 12

pendulum says...

"Assing police car". An embarrassing typo, and a clue that you really ought to start proofreading your articles! :)
"Assing police car". An embarrassing typo, and a clue that you really ought to start proofreading your articles! :) pendulum
  • Score: -1

1:58pm Sat 1 Sep 12

Keptquiettillnow says...

A passing Police car, well that must have been a pure moment of chance.
A passing Police car, well that must have been a pure moment of chance. Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 5

4:57pm Sat 1 Sep 12

Soouthchurch59 says...

Worryingly, the eventual outcome of these type of incident will, I predict, be the routine arming of every policeman with a Taser. This, of course, is despite the fact that some of the more sadistic among them shouldn't be armed with anything more deadly than a whistle!
Worryingly, the eventual outcome of these type of incident will, I predict, be the routine arming of every policeman with a Taser. This, of course, is despite the fact that some of the more sadistic among them shouldn't be armed with anything more deadly than a whistle! Soouthchurch59
  • Score: -2

6:24pm Sat 1 Sep 12

alex595 says...

Why do people speculate when the police are involved? The police are underpressure as im sure we all know but none of us were at the scene. Maybe there was a reason why officers didnt tackle/cs spray him. if you think you can do better go and join the police. Atleast officers were able to reassure any victims and no one was hurt.
Why do people speculate when the police are involved? The police are underpressure as im sure we all know but none of us were at the scene. Maybe there was a reason why officers didnt tackle/cs spray him. if you think you can do better go and join the police. Atleast officers were able to reassure any victims and no one was hurt. alex595
  • Score: 4

6:35pm Sat 1 Sep 12

tatersalad says...

This is serious stuff, don't worry about a typo.
This is serious stuff, don't worry about a typo. tatersalad
  • Score: 6

11:36pm Sat 1 Sep 12

SpaffSpiff84 says...

Lets see how big this fella is when he gets a hefty 2 month suspended-sentance
Lets see how big this fella is when he gets a hefty 2 month suspended-sentance SpaffSpiff84
  • Score: 8

11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12

Call me Carl says...

I feel sorry for the poor robber in this case mainly. The police don't solve crime so much as protect property nowadays. If this was another kid being sideswipped or shanked no-one would care buy because it's a copper people are up in arms. Old ladies are being robbed. The bigger picture is poverty. This tyrannous government and disgustingly opaque feaudal capitalism we endure makes victims of us all, with Barling councillors and rich swines far removed from it all.

I remember when Westcliff was nice. We've always had an immigrants here, since I can remember, but there's some vicious sorts roaming around since all that EU nonsense started up.

C
I feel sorry for the poor robber in this case mainly. The police don't solve crime so much as protect property nowadays. If this was another kid being sideswipped or shanked no-one would care buy because it's a copper people are up in arms. Old ladies are being robbed. The bigger picture is poverty. This tyrannous government and disgustingly opaque feaudal capitalism we endure makes victims of us all, with Barling councillors and rich swines far removed from it all. I remember when Westcliff was nice. We've always had an immigrants here, since I can remember, but there's some vicious sorts roaming around since all that EU nonsense started up. C Call me Carl
  • Score: 4

5:41am Sun 2 Sep 12

soul man says...

Call me Carl wrote:
I feel sorry for the poor robber in this case mainly. The police don't solve crime so much as protect property nowadays. If this was another kid being sideswipped or shanked no-one would care buy because it's a copper people are up in arms. Old ladies are being robbed. The bigger picture is poverty. This tyrannous government and disgustingly opaque feaudal capitalism we endure makes victims of us all, with Barling councillors and rich swines far removed from it all.

I remember when Westcliff was nice. We've always had an immigrants here, since I can remember, but there's some vicious sorts roaming around since all that EU nonsense started up.

C
this is i'm afraid a sign of the time times, yes westcliff was a nice area 30 yrs ago ,but as you say the eu influx has decimated all areas, plus our own youth have no jobs, desperate times create desperate events for that type of person i'm sorry to say, the eu folk need repatriation, and our youth need a job for this sort of thing to ease, as for the perp, wait till they catch him, he's got big prison time coming for the attempted stabbing of plod, and i bet they do catch him, when its their own they pull out all the stops
[quote][p][bold]Call me Carl[/bold] wrote: I feel sorry for the poor robber in this case mainly. The police don't solve crime so much as protect property nowadays. If this was another kid being sideswipped or shanked no-one would care buy because it's a copper people are up in arms. Old ladies are being robbed. The bigger picture is poverty. This tyrannous government and disgustingly opaque feaudal capitalism we endure makes victims of us all, with Barling councillors and rich swines far removed from it all. I remember when Westcliff was nice. We've always had an immigrants here, since I can remember, but there's some vicious sorts roaming around since all that EU nonsense started up. C[/p][/quote]this is i'm afraid a sign of the time times, yes westcliff was a nice area 30 yrs ago ,but as you say the eu influx has decimated all areas, plus our own youth have no jobs, desperate times create desperate events for that type of person i'm sorry to say, the eu folk need repatriation, and our youth need a job for this sort of thing to ease, as for the perp, wait till they catch him, he's got big prison time coming for the attempted stabbing of plod, and i bet they do catch him, when its their own they pull out all the stops soul man
  • Score: 5

7:23am Sun 2 Sep 12

Brunning999 says...

WTF surely Police Officer only use their spray if close enough ?

Two Police Officers both have truncheons why no arrest?

We're the Policeman overweight, unfit,or did health and safety play a part,either way why no arrest?
WTF surely Police Officer only use their spray if close enough ? Two Police Officers both have truncheons why no arrest? We're the Policeman overweight, unfit,or did health and safety play a part,either way why no arrest? Brunning999
  • Score: -7

10:03am Sun 2 Sep 12

JuliaM says...

Rich'Carol wrote:
WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about.
Did you not read? It clearly states: "Both officers aimed CS spray at the robber’s face which was mostly covered with a black ski mask."

And it's sad (but an indication of how low public confidence in the police has sunk) that - when they actually DO THEIR JOB, rather than prancing about valuing diversity or running awareness campaigns - there's still no support for them, only contempt and cynicism...
[quote][p][bold]Rich'Carol[/bold] wrote: WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about.[/p][/quote]Did you not read? It clearly states: "Both officers aimed CS spray at the robber’s face which was mostly covered with a black ski mask." And it's sad (but an indication of how low public confidence in the police has sunk) that - when they actually DO THEIR JOB, rather than prancing about valuing diversity or running awareness campaigns - there's still no support for them, only contempt and cynicism... JuliaM
  • Score: 3

10:57am Sun 2 Sep 12

jantone says...

Another case proving that the british police should be armed, why should they put their own lives at risk? If this happened in Paris, the robbers would have been shot, they do not take prisoners, we have witnessed this, & it obviously works!!!!!!!!!!!
Another case proving that the british police should be armed, why should they put their own lives at risk? If this happened in Paris, the robbers would have been shot, they do not take prisoners, we have witnessed this, & it obviously works!!!!!!!!!!! jantone
  • Score: 2

4:07pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Brunning999 says...

JuliaM wrote:
Rich'Carol wrote:
WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about.
Did you not read? It clearly states: "Both officers aimed CS spray at the robber’s face which was mostly covered with a black ski mask."

And it's sad (but an indication of how low public confidence in the police has sunk) that - when they actually DO THEIR JOB, rather than prancing about valuing diversity or running awareness campaigns - there's still no support for them, only contempt and cynicism...
More astonishment that they were close enough to spray into the face, and did not use a truncheon or whatever they are called now.
Even the fact he ran off surely the Policeman had legs?
[quote][p][bold]JuliaM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rich'Carol[/bold] wrote: WHY were the police assing about, why didnt they stun or use pepper spray on the ****.hole . Ive seen them on tv bullying people by peppering a drunk or some who is swearing and someone who wont get into the police van, so why not on a serious matter deal with this better. Come on coppers, stop assing about.[/p][/quote]Did you not read? It clearly states: "Both officers aimed CS spray at the robber’s face which was mostly covered with a black ski mask." And it's sad (but an indication of how low public confidence in the police has sunk) that - when they actually DO THEIR JOB, rather than prancing about valuing diversity or running awareness campaigns - there's still no support for them, only contempt and cynicism...[/p][/quote]More astonishment that they were close enough to spray into the face, and did not use a truncheon or whatever they are called now. Even the fact he ran off surely the Policeman had legs? Brunning999
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Sun 2 Sep 12

the kracken says...

To be honest if someone threatens a police officer with a knife in the course of their duties ,the police officer should be able to shoot them. It is time we armed the police in this country, and in my view we shouldn't expect men and women to face people armed with knives when all they have is a baton ,some spray and a taser (at best) . And I believe in many places in the UK, taser is still only carried by armed response teams. Unacceptable.

What use is the kind of subhuman who robs a newsagent and threatens a police officer with a knife anyway?. They are not a productive members of society and will cost taxpayers a huge amount to keep them locked up and then pay them benefits perhaps for a drug habit. The coalition talk about people 'sharing the pain'. Well I see precious little pain being dealt to our criminal classes. Perhaps shooting a few dead , might also make others like them give crime a second thought.
To be honest if someone threatens a police officer with a knife in the course of their duties ,the police officer should be able to shoot them. It is time we armed the police in this country, and in my view we shouldn't expect men and women to face people armed with knives when all they have is a baton ,some spray and a taser (at best) . And I believe in many places in the UK, taser is still only carried by armed response teams. Unacceptable. What use is the kind of subhuman who robs a newsagent and threatens a police officer with a knife anyway?. They are not a productive members of society and will cost taxpayers a huge amount to keep them locked up and then pay them benefits perhaps for a drug habit. The coalition talk about people 'sharing the pain'. Well I see precious little pain being dealt to our criminal classes. Perhaps shooting a few dead , might also make others like them give crime a second thought. the kracken
  • Score: 3

10:00pm Sun 2 Sep 12

2012_Jimbob says...

Someone robs a shop. Police arrive with cs spray and a stick. Robber pulls out knife and tries to stab officer. Robber gets away.

I would imagine the reason the robber got away is because the police officers may have been slightly preoccupied with the fact they had almost been stabbed and that they had nothing to adequately deal with a knife man.

From my time in the paras cs spray works on about 80 per cent of the population. It doesn't always work with instant effect and sometimes not at all. In this instance if it was sprayed at the face and the robber removed their face covering quickly after the exposure then it is unlikely to have had any great effect,

The range of a police baton is the length of the officers arm plus the length of the baton. Would you really want to put yourself in such close proximity to a knife. I know I wouldn't. Police officers are paid to do a number of things but they are not paid enough to die at the hands of some armed crack head robber.
Someone robs a shop. Police arrive with cs spray and a stick. Robber pulls out knife and tries to stab officer. Robber gets away. I would imagine the reason the robber got away is because the police officers may have been slightly preoccupied with the fact they had almost been stabbed and that they had nothing to adequately deal with a knife man. From my time in the paras cs spray works on about 80 per cent of the population. It doesn't always work with instant effect and sometimes not at all. In this instance if it was sprayed at the face and the robber removed their face covering quickly after the exposure then it is unlikely to have had any great effect, The range of a police baton is the length of the officers arm plus the length of the baton. Would you really want to put yourself in such close proximity to a knife. I know I wouldn't. Police officers are paid to do a number of things but they are not paid enough to die at the hands of some armed crack head robber. 2012_Jimbob
  • Score: 6

10:21am Mon 3 Sep 12

Nebs says...

How about a mixture of CS spray and glow-in-the-dark paint, to be used in situations like this by the night shift. It might make finding villains like this a bit easier.
How about a mixture of CS spray and glow-in-the-dark paint, to be used in situations like this by the night shift. It might make finding villains like this a bit easier. Nebs
  • Score: 2

11:12am Mon 3 Sep 12

j-w says...

jeez, just watched the cctv.
sorry but keystone cops spring to mind!

I bet if the shop assistant had picked the knife up the robber would have legged it.

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=ihIFAuJP6
JM&feature=youtu.be
jeez, just watched the cctv. sorry but keystone cops spring to mind! I bet if the shop assistant had picked the knife up the robber would have legged it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=ihIFAuJP6 JM&feature=youtu.be j-w
  • Score: 0

11:14am Mon 3 Sep 12

j-w says...

notice a video is now on here too but without the faces being blurred or the police falling out of the door!
notice a video is now on here too but without the faces being blurred or the police falling out of the door! j-w
  • Score: 0

6:54pm Mon 3 Sep 12

The Real Haze says...

SpaffSpiff84 wrote:
Lets see how big this fella is when he gets a hefty 2 month suspended-sentance
Very good!
[quote][p][bold]SpaffSpiff84[/bold] wrote: Lets see how big this fella is when he gets a hefty 2 month suspended-sentance[/p][/quote]Very good! The Real Haze
  • Score: 1

6:57pm Mon 3 Sep 12

The Real Haze says...

Nebs wrote:
How about a mixture of CS spray and glow-in-the-dark paint, to be used in situations like this by the night shift. It might make finding villains like this a bit easier.
Great idea. You should patent that pretty quickly!
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: How about a mixture of CS spray and glow-in-the-dark paint, to be used in situations like this by the night shift. It might make finding villains like this a bit easier.[/p][/quote]Great idea. You should patent that pretty quickly! The Real Haze
  • Score: 1

7:20pm Mon 3 Sep 12

Soouthchurch59 says...

angryofessex wrote:
Call me Carl says...
11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12

The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.
Who unmuzzled the moron!
[quote][p][bold]angryofessex[/bold] wrote: Call me Carl says... 11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12 The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.[/p][/quote]Who unmuzzled the moron! Soouthchurch59
  • Score: -1

8:05am Tue 4 Sep 12

angryofessex says...

Soouthchurch59 wrote:
angryofessex wrote: Call me Carl says... 11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12 The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.
Who unmuzzled the moron!
I presume you, like Carl feel sorry for the poor robber who is obviously a victim of our society and blame the decline of Southend / Westcliff on “that EU nonsense”. The problem has a lot to do with sh*t rented accommodation provided by dodgy landlords in the area. Never mind, it can only get worse.
[quote][p][bold]Soouthchurch59[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]angryofessex[/bold] wrote: Call me Carl says... 11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12 The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.[/p][/quote]Who unmuzzled the moron![/p][/quote]I presume you, like Carl feel sorry for the poor robber who is obviously a victim of our society and blame the decline of Southend / Westcliff on “that EU nonsense”. The problem has a lot to do with sh*t rented accommodation provided by dodgy landlords in the area. Never mind, it can only get worse. angryofessex
  • Score: 1

9:04am Tue 4 Sep 12

Soouthchurch59 says...

angryofessex wrote:
Soouthchurch59 wrote:
angryofessex wrote: Call me Carl says... 11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12 The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.
Who unmuzzled the moron!
I presume you, like Carl feel sorry for the poor robber who is obviously a victim of our society and blame the decline of Southend / Westcliff on “that EU nonsense”. The problem has a lot to do with sh*t rented accommodation provided by dodgy landlords in the area. Never mind, it can only get worse.
No, I feel sorry for people like yourself who try to attribute every crime to *anyone* with a darker skin - even when the photographic evidence suggests otherwise.

I refer you again to Horace Wimpole's answer.....
[quote][p][bold]angryofessex[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Soouthchurch59[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]angryofessex[/bold] wrote: Call me Carl says... 11:51pm Sat 1 Sep 12 The last time I had the misfortune to visit Westcliff it was heaving with Africans, didn’t realise Africa was part of the EU.[/p][/quote]Who unmuzzled the moron![/p][/quote]I presume you, like Carl feel sorry for the poor robber who is obviously a victim of our society and blame the decline of Southend / Westcliff on “that EU nonsense”. The problem has a lot to do with sh*t rented accommodation provided by dodgy landlords in the area. Never mind, it can only get worse.[/p][/quote]No, I feel sorry for people like yourself who try to attribute every crime to *anyone* with a darker skin - even when the photographic evidence suggests otherwise. I refer you again to Horace Wimpole's answer..... Soouthchurch59
  • Score: -1

5:20pm Tue 4 Sep 12

whataday says...

2012_Jimbob wrote:
Someone robs a shop. Police arrive with cs spray and a stick. Robber pulls out knife and tries to stab officer. Robber gets away.

I would imagine the reason the robber got away is because the police officers may have been slightly preoccupied with the fact they had almost been stabbed and that they had nothing to adequately deal with a knife man.

From my time in the paras cs spray works on about 80 per cent of the population. It doesn't always work with instant effect and sometimes not at all. In this instance if it was sprayed at the face and the robber removed their face covering quickly after the exposure then it is unlikely to have had any great effect,

The range of a police baton is the length of the officers arm plus the length of the baton. Would you really want to put yourself in such close proximity to a knife. I know I wouldn't. Police officers are paid to do a number of things but they are not paid enough to die at the hands of some armed crack head robber.
Well said Our police have to put up with and do all sorts of horrendous things with nop back up and gross under-staffing. Then some twerp of a judge lets the criminals off with a "don't do it again you poor little thing" when you can bet the criminal has at least 50 previouses
[quote][p][bold]2012_Jimbob[/bold] wrote: Someone robs a shop. Police arrive with cs spray and a stick. Robber pulls out knife and tries to stab officer. Robber gets away. I would imagine the reason the robber got away is because the police officers may have been slightly preoccupied with the fact they had almost been stabbed and that they had nothing to adequately deal with a knife man. From my time in the paras cs spray works on about 80 per cent of the population. It doesn't always work with instant effect and sometimes not at all. In this instance if it was sprayed at the face and the robber removed their face covering quickly after the exposure then it is unlikely to have had any great effect, The range of a police baton is the length of the officers arm plus the length of the baton. Would you really want to put yourself in such close proximity to a knife. I know I wouldn't. Police officers are paid to do a number of things but they are not paid enough to die at the hands of some armed crack head robber.[/p][/quote]Well said Our police have to put up with and do all sorts of horrendous things with nop back up and gross under-staffing. Then some twerp of a judge lets the criminals off with a "don't do it again you poor little thing" when you can bet the criminal has at least 50 previouses whataday
  • Score: 1

10:03pm Wed 5 Sep 12

bignosechaff says...

The muppet puts the knife down on the counter. He guy behind the counter should have gone for it.
The muppet puts the knife down on the counter. He guy behind the counter should have gone for it. bignosechaff
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree