Woman suffers smoke inhaltion after flat fire in Southend

A WOMAN suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a nearby flat where a group of friends were smoking in the bedroom.

Firefighters from Southend were called to Wordsworth Close just before 5.30am this morning, Saturday.

A 23-year-old man, his two friends and two cats had all managed to get out of the flat before the crews arrived.

Kevin Colby, sub-officer at Southend, said they were fine, but a woman in her 50s, who lived across the hall, was taken to hospital as a precaution.

He said: “She had recently come out of hospital so the paramedics were a bit concerned and took her to Southend Hospital just to make sure she was ok.

“The fire itself was in the bedroom, the mattress was on fire and we believe smoking materials was the cause.”

A team of firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the flames, which were put out just after 6am.

They also used a high pressure fan to clear the property of smoke before leaving the scene.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:01am Sat 22 Sep 12

muffindamule says...

I hope they have learnt their lesson and will use a vapouriser in future.
I hope they have learnt their lesson and will use a vapouriser in future. muffindamule
  • Score: -1

10:13am Sat 22 Sep 12

The Soldier in White says...

You can't go wrong
If you use a bong
Even if you're short sighted

Everyone knows
The bit that glows
Is the bit that's been ignited.
You can't go wrong If you use a bong Even if you're short sighted Everyone knows The bit that glows Is the bit that's been ignited. The Soldier in White
  • Score: -1

12:05pm Sat 22 Sep 12

King ,El says...

Sounds like the 23 year old man, his two friends and two cats may have suffered smoke inhalation before the fire broke out.
Sounds like the 23 year old man, his two friends and two cats may have suffered smoke inhalation before the fire broke out. King ,El
  • Score: 0

12:07pm Sat 22 Sep 12

Eric Whim says...

muffindamule wrote:
I hope they have learnt their lesson and will use a vapouriser in future.
they'd still have to spark up an 'oily rag' to cope with their addiction to the tobacco element of their 'jazz cigarettes' though...

..a real example of where 'juana is a gateway to more noxious drugs.....
[quote][p][bold]muffindamule[/bold] wrote: I hope they have learnt their lesson and will use a vapouriser in future.[/p][/quote]they'd still have to spark up an 'oily rag' to cope with their addiction to the tobacco element of their 'jazz cigarettes' though... ..a real example of where 'juana is a gateway to more noxious drugs..... Eric Whim
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Sat 22 Sep 12

Audioman says...

Frying BACON again you don't fry bacon in a BEDROOM.
Frying BACON again you don't fry bacon in a BEDROOM. Audioman
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree