Vandals smash-up charity minibuses

Elderly and disabled residents left housebound after vandals target charity minibuses

Elderly and disabled residents left housebound after vandals target charity minibuses

First published in News by

HUNDREDS of vulnerable residents have been left unable to get out and about after the minibuses they rely on were broken into.

Heartless vandals smashed the windows of three vehicles belonging to the Basildon District Volunteer Carers, based at The George Hurd Centre on Audley Way, Basildon.

They also rifled through the glove boxes in search of valuable items and attempted to steal a sat-nav but left empty-handed.

Staff from the charity, which helps elderly and disabled people live more independent lives, were shocked when they arrived at work at 8am on Tuesday to find the car park covered in shattered glass.

Dawn Penn, Community Service Manager at Basildon District Volunteer Careers, said: “We are all absolutely stunned. I just can’t believe that someone would do this. We have been here four years and never experienced anything like this.

“The buses are especially adapted for wheelchair access so it’s pretty obvious that disabled people use them. This is a major disruption to our service.”

Every month the charity, which was established in 1991, provides more than 2,000 journeys for 300 elderly and disabled people across the borough.

Despite having a further two minibuses which remain in operation, the dedicated volunteers were left with little choice but to cancel a number of their transport commitments forcing elderly and disabled residents to either use taxi’s or stay at home.

Police are urging anyone with information about the incident to call 101.
 

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:11am Thu 11 Oct 12

perini says...

Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc
Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc perini
  • Score: 0

12:34pm Thu 11 Oct 12

Olivia2847 says...

Bring back a form of compulsory national service - surely a cheaper option that at present allows this type of vandalism by an assumed totally degenerate youth culture!
Bring back a form of compulsory national service - surely a cheaper option that at present allows this type of vandalism by an assumed totally degenerate youth culture! Olivia2847
  • Score: 1

2:41pm Thu 11 Oct 12

Trainman says...

Perhaps one of those responsible will one day end-up in a wheelchair, then know the need for these vehicles?
Perhaps one of those responsible will one day end-up in a wheelchair, then know the need for these vehicles? Trainman
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Thu 11 Oct 12

Nebs says...

perini wrote:
Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc
Community payback time could be used building prisons.
[quote][p][bold]perini[/bold] wrote: Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc[/p][/quote]Community payback time could be used building prisons. Nebs
  • Score: 0

12:26pm Fri 12 Oct 12

perini says...

Nebs wrote:
perini wrote: Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc
Community payback time could be used building prisons.
Nebs - I'd rather see chain gangs wearing pink or orange overalls mending the roads instead of the plethora of cones we see all over the place.
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]perini[/bold] wrote: Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc[/p][/quote]Community payback time could be used building prisons.[/p][/quote]Nebs - I'd rather see chain gangs wearing pink or orange overalls mending the roads instead of the plethora of cones we see all over the place. perini
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Fri 12 Oct 12

Nebs says...

perini wrote:
Nebs wrote:
perini wrote: Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc
Community payback time could be used building prisons.
Nebs - I'd rather see chain gangs wearing pink or orange overalls mending the roads instead of the plethora of cones we see all over the place.
Good idea. How about, anyone with an asbo must wear a pink or orange tracksuit whenever they go out.
[quote][p][bold]perini[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]perini[/bold] wrote: Time to bring a 2 or 3 strikes rule in! Start building a lot more prisons and start locking this scum away without gymns, x boxes, TV's etc[/p][/quote]Community payback time could be used building prisons.[/p][/quote]Nebs - I'd rather see chain gangs wearing pink or orange overalls mending the roads instead of the plethora of cones we see all over the place.[/p][/quote]Good idea. How about, anyone with an asbo must wear a pink or orange tracksuit whenever they go out. Nebs
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree