AN IDENTICAL planning application to build 450 homes on a controversial greenbelt site has been submitted to
Council twice this year.
Bellway Homes and Ford want to build the housing estate on part of the Ford Dunton automotive research site in Dunton, Laindon and after they were refused in June the developers have submitted the plans once again.
A planning inspector is due to look at the plans on November 27- the same date the new plans are set to go before the planning committee.
Bellway Homes wants to build the properties, ranging from one-bedroom flats to five-bedroom houses and this development would be in addition to the 309 homes already being built at the Radford Park development on the nearby former Laindon School site.
The planned homes would be built in three phases, and include proposals to build a link road connecting the A127
to the Dunton interchange and to improve the roundabout there.
Campaigners say they are worried about overdevelopment at the site and they are afraid the planning inspector might give the plans the green light despite public opposition.
John Dornan, a Conservative Laindon Park ward councillor, said he is “totally opposed” to the plans and believed developing the site could set a “dangerous precedent” in the future.
He said: “It is very strange why the developers would just submit pretty much identical plans. In my opinion nothing has changed and that land should be left alone.”
Stephen Hillier, former chairman of the Basildon planning committee, said he was not surprised the firm had resubmitted the plans.
He said: “There is nothing to stop any developer putting in the same planning application for the same site providing they have the money. I am not surprised at all to hear about it.
“Any building on this site should be for automotive development and employment use. Personally I am against the plans for this housing estate because the playing fields at Laindon School have already been developed and for me it was always either or site.
“The planning committee have to look at this new planning application on its merits.”
Julian Kenyon, a spokesman for Bellway Homes, added: “Our initial application was supported by the council officers, we were disappointed that this did not receive approval, since then we have held high level discussions with the council to clarify our proposals.
“The fact that the dates of the appeal and next planning meeting coincide on November 27 is coincidental and we have been working with the council to try and push back the date of the appeal pending the outcome of the planning meeting which we hope this time will approve our application and allow us to deliver new and affordable housing in Basildon to satisfy demand.”